• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Suspension Quad shocks

  • Thread starter Thread starter keel
  • Start date Start date May 20, 2026
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,157
4,246
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 21, 2026
#21
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #21
Meh I am going to disagree. I haven't had quad shocks on either of my Foxes for 20+ years but I do have quality UCS's, LCA's, and shocks. From summer tires to all season tires and to drag radials no wheel hop.
 
Reactions: nickyb

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,332
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Aug 21, 2026
#22
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #22
I had to put them back on mine. MM lowers, new OE style uppers, bilstiens, PHB, still had the hippity hop. Checked pinion angle. Just put them back and problem solved.
 
Reactions: Shakerhood, AeroCoupe and Willybill32

nickyb

I gotta say i never painted my nuts, Never Ever
15 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
3,024
1,658
163
nevada
Aug 21, 2026
#23
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #23
Mustang5L5 said:
I had to put them back on mine. MM lowers, new OE style uppers, bilstiens, PHB, still had the hippity hop. Checked pinion angle. Just put them back and problem solved.
Click to expand...
Your o.e.m. uppers are the weak link, cause I've been side stepping my clutch for years without any hop, I've got metco adjustable uppers and lower arms with greasable bushings.
 
Reactions: AeroCoupe

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,332
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Aug 21, 2026
#24
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #24
nickyb said:
Your o.e.m. uppers are the weak link, cause I've been side stepping my clutch for years without any hop, I've got metco adjustable uppers and lower arms with greasable bushings.
Click to expand...

It’s what MM recommended to me. They aren’t original they are new, along with new axle bushings. All low mileage stuff. In fact there have been two different sets of them each at this point. At this point I’ll live with the quads and just pull them when I finally install a torque arm.
 
Reactions: Shakerhood

Qtrhrse23

Active Member
Jul 2, 2024
76
29
28
Texas
Aug 21, 2026
#25
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #25
nickyb said:
Your o.e.m. uppers are the weak link, cause I've been side stepping my clutch for years without any hop, I've got metco adjustable uppers and lower arms with greasable bushings.
Click to expand...


Side stepping clutch sounds like you run slicks, unless you just like smoke showing.

ALL I CAN SAY IS QUALITY UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS WILL HOP ON RADIALS(HIGH 12 SECOND CAR) WITH T5 AT 3300LBS WITHOUT QUAD SHOCKS.

BEEN DOING THIS SINCE THA EARLY 90S.

THE OLD SCHOOL Southside Machine control arms(new ones arent the same) or Lakewood traction bars ARE DIFFERENT. THEY WILL KILL THE HOP.
 
Last edited: Aug 21, 2026

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,157
4,246
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 22, 2026
#26
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #26
Let’s just say that in your experience this happens as it is not my experience nor is it for other members here. Seems to be a case by case basis. Seems like most cannot get wide tires to fit without punting the quads but I’m sure some have made them fit. Regardless there are plenty of cars out there without the quads and no wheel hop.
 
Reactions: General karthief, Bullitt347 and Noobz347

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,380
21,582
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 22, 2026
#27
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #27
What uppers are you using? What bearings/bushings are at each end? Are also running a set of battle boxes? Welded or bolted?
 

Qtrhrse23

Active Member
Jul 2, 2024
76
29
28
Texas
Aug 22, 2026
#28
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #28
Tubular lowers poly bushings, uppers with poly bushings. NON adjustable. No battle boxes, I DONT LAUNCH this Fox like I did my previous. But suspension is the same. No front sway, Saleen tubular lowers, uppers with poly bushings, and Airbag if left rear spring. My 93 GT had thousands of launchs on it, same suspension(a 12 second bolton car they do/did exist) BUT with 3.73s. 1.67s ALL DAY ON ET STREETS. 1.87S ALL DAY ON BFG NON DRAG RADIALS.

AeroCoupe said:
Let’s just say that in your experience this happens as it is not my experience nor is it for other members here. Seems to be a case by case basis. Seems like most cannot get wide tires to fit without punting the quads but I’m sure some have made them fit. Regardless there are plenty of cars out there without the quads and no wheel hop.
Click to expand...


NICE TO see you speak for EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM. Im NOT GONNA HAVE A PISSING WAR with you. If they dont STOP THE HOP, WHY ARE THEY THERE? Seems like EVERY Foxbody owner would of trashed them. Thats WHAT WE DO WITH DEAD WEIGHT. It must be a MYSTERY AS TO WHY 90%+ Foxes still have them. % goes up if a wide tire isnt there(like you mentioned). Lord knows they do nothing for cornering. Im out of this thread. Good luck.
 

manicmechanic007

5 Year Member
Sep 26, 2017
2,554
724
143
Roy, Utah
Aug 22, 2026
#29
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #29
Those are 50/50 shocks like post 2 says
The rear sway bars did as much for wheel hop as the shocks did
Used to break those sway bars racing them
That rear sway bar acted as the actual traction bar, and the 2nd set of shocks were the damper
Those were the funnest ones to drive IMO
 

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 29, 1999
8,500
8,753
234
S.I.NY
Aug 22, 2026
#30
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #30
No quad shocks , solid spherical uppers , poly lowers

Zero wheel hop on a drag radial

Car makes enough to run 9.50s on the street pump gas tune to gauge horsepower.
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,157
4,246
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 22, 2026
#31
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #31
Never said I was speaking for everyone. My exact words were “ not my experience nor is it for other members here”. Key word there is other not all.

It’s no pissing match so ease up. I was just stating my experiences with both my cars and you are stating your experiences with yours. Nothing more to it.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,380
21,582
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 22, 2026
#32
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #32
Qtrhrse23 said:
NICE TO see you speak for EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM. Im NOT GONNA HAVE A PISSING WAR with you. If they dont STOP THE HOP, WHY ARE THEY THERE?
Click to expand...

They are not the only solution to wheel hop, is the point.
 

Bullitt347

I have been doing it wrong this whole time
15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
4,017
3,011
204
Middle of Maine
Aug 22, 2026
#33
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #33
I used to own a Mustang specialty shop. From 1994-2002.
Worked on and modified a ton of Foxbody Mustangs, SN 95's and SN 97's, Basically any Mustang up through 2002.
We removed the quad shocks on every Mustang that got upgraded rear suspension components.
Everything from street/street strip, DD's and Drag Only cars.
Not once did any customer come back complaining of wheel hop.
But that is just my experience. I am sure other people with stock/stockish rear suspension systems had a different result than I did.
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,053
10,677
213
polk county florida
Aug 22, 2026
#34
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #34
Noobz347 said:
They are not the only solution to wheel hop, is the point.
Click to expand...
He get kicked off facepage??
Bet he's still here.
 
Reactions: AeroCoupe

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
8,058
1,643
194
NJ
Sep 2, 2026
#35
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • #35
It was pretty obvious on my car the wheel hop was the lack of quads.
Motorsport uppers and steeda HD lowers and then MM HD lowers. Removed, wheel hop. Installed no wheel hop.

I don't remember if it did it when i went to double adjustable uppers with Heim joints at the body side, but i hated those so much i removed them fairly quickly.
I don't think my southside bars wheel hopped (and I believe they absolutely get you the best traction), too bad the damage they do is second to none when it comes to torque boxes.

Regardless, MM suggests motorsport uppers. So if that is the cause and it wheel hops, I really don't see the harm in just putting them back on.
I do not feel like just upgraded lowers solves it.
Besides, they are like $30 a set at rockauto.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,332
18,059
224
Massachusetts
Sep 2, 2026
#36
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • #36
oh boy. We should have a thread on the rear differential dogbone and it's purpose.
 
Reactions: Shakerhood, General karthief and keel

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,157
4,246
183
Claremore, OK
Sep 2, 2026
#37
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • #37
New forum for that one under

 
Reactions: keel
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
356
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Wheels-Tires Quad shock quandry
  • gearhead77
  • Apr 22, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
13
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 27, 2024
Jarhead67
J
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
9
WTB: Procharger or Vortech Supercharger – 1996–1998 Mustang GT 4.6 2V – Budget $3,200
  • 96mustang.gt
  • Nov 20, 2025
  • Want to Buy
Replies
1
Views
470
Want to Buy May 3, 2026
roblabsn95
R
B
'03 GT Fuel Pump/Pressure/Delivery Issue
  • Brodach
  • Oct 21, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
1K
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 31, 2025
gkomo
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?