Quarter Horse or SCT 4 bank elim.?

First off I'm running a x3z cobra ecu. No judging we all make mistakes lol. But heres the question I've never done diy tuning but I would like to learn I was gona get the SCT but found out I can control evreything for around $100 more with the QH. The megasquirt is to much so I don't want to hear about it. Is self tuning that hard to get into that I would be better off to go SCT? And how limited would I be on dyno tuning with the SCT versus the QH. I'll start off with that even tho I have a million questions.

• Sponsors (?)

The SCT will not allow self tuning by itself, you would need to by the additional Pro Racer software $300+ or just allow your tuner to tune the car and burn the chip. I'm all for self tuning if you have a good understanding of basics or are willing to learn, remember small changes or you can do major, immediate damage.

If more modifications are in your future the Qrthrse will allow you the user to make changes as needed. I would make sure the dyno operator you use knows the qrthrse so you are not stuck once purchased if you find it isn't for you, this way they can still tune the car for you.

Well luckily don't have a designated tuner yet. But there's always more mods in the future that's what was making me lean this way. I've just never even seen tuning programs in action. I'm pretty good with computers and know everything about my car in and out. I feel track or street tuning would be the best rather than wot pulls. I figured I'd start out with the stock map and make minor tweecks till I learnt the system. Is there other tuning forums or anything I could use for Q and A's? Does self tuning allow you to stray away from buying calibrated mafs and just adjust injector size in the ecu?

Thanks for all the info but I decided I'm not gona have the time to sit and play with it so I'm going sct with a tune. Has anybody had experience with Randy Mann from Fastmann Racing. I emailed him and seemed knowlegable and doesn't want to do just a wot tune which from what i understand most do that other than cold starts, drivability, and wot. It's hard to find tuners in Pa.

The only thing i thought sucked about Mann is he quoted me 400 or 500 or 600 depending on how long it took. DGR the guy from sgs says $300 but My buddy had his built lightning tuned at sgs and johnny lightning laughed at the numbers it put down after tuned like 389 which is what some people can get tuning from stock. Do those prices from Mann seem high for a N/A car. I do everything myself so it's hard for me to put my trust in somebody for that price.

The only thing i thought sucked about Mann is he quoted me 400 or 500 or 600 depending on how long it took. DGR the guy from sgs says $300 but My buddy had his built lightning tuned at sgs and johnny lightning laughed at the numbers it put down after tuned like 389 which is what some people can get tuning from stock. Do those prices from Mann seem high for a N/A car. I do everything myself so it's hard for me to put my trust in somebody for that price.

stock pullied tuned lightnings dont make 389... most with a 4lb lower just crack the 400hp mark. mine on 9lbs made 389/464 and that was on johns dyno. and yes an NA car shouldnt take long to tune unless its a pretty radical combo so it shouldnt be more then 400 bucks

booze bros racing would be another to look into

SRT is right about the lightning...

Dave at DGR is one of the best tuners in the area IMO when it comes to EFI set-ups, no matter which one you have. I actually use Dave to tune the cars I build at my shop in Hanover, PA 17331. If you ever need anything et me know if I can help. Don't get caught up in numbers it all about how to runs, drives and performs across the entire curve. Its nice to have a radical 700hp car that starts and idles perfect with just the turn of the key, I get that at DGR where others have been lacking.

Whats done to the car? You might be wasting money on a tune....

I must of got my numbers for the lightning confused somehow but whatever he made johnny lightning said he gets that out of stock ones but that dont matter anyway. My combo is a 306 with hyper speed pro pistons, 7 quart oil pan, windage tray, x303 cam, procomp 190cc alum. heads, full roller rockers, underdrive pullies, 15/8 headers, o/r x pipe, cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 75mm tb, msd streetfire ignition, electric fan, aluminum driveshaft, 4.10 gears, running off a x3z ecu.

I wasnt planning on getting it tuned but i can't get a maf sensor to run right with the x3z unless its the stock one for 19lb injectors which is to small. Thought about buying the 93 cobra maf but I plan on turbo or supercharging sometime so I don't wanna buy twice. I got the injectors and cobra intake for free so thats why they are on it and not something else.

any reason your set on running the cobra computer? id go with an A9L and be able to use off the shelf stuff. getting into stuff that you cant run standard parts with out tunning work sucks in the long run.

I know i had an a9l and didn't know the cobra would act like this and sold it on ebay. I was just trying not to buy another computer and use what i stuck myself with which either way I need to buy another maf anyway. If I dont need a tune with my setup I'll get an a9l if not I'll just buy the maf and get it tuned. I also tried emailing booze brothers and no reply how are they and good prices?

Yea it looks like they arent selling the old kit anymore. That is still a good deal IMO. What i have is a MS2 box with an adapter harness. That cost me 600, but i cant find it on the website, and i had heard rumors that it was going to be discontinued for the new plug and play stuff.

What i did before i bought an ECU was download the tuning software and just play around with it, and see whose software is most user friendly. Tuner studio is a great software, and very easy to use.