Quarter Window Trim Resto

Keith5.0GT

May 29, 2017
Hi everyone. I want to restore my quarter window trim. I had a gap at the top where it deteriorated and I filled it with liquid rubber. But not sure how that will sand and paint so I'm curious what you would use to fill in where needed before sanding and painting. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a little slow on this one, sorry about that.

What do you mean liquid rubber? Show a picture of what you used.

The repair is really dependent on how bad it is.

Show a picture of the moulding area as well and I'll give you my thoughts.

Alrighty I'll try and upload. The pic is before I filled it. It was thin and frayed on the edge so I cut it clean with a razor blade and filled it with a product made by plasti dip. Not a spray can but just linguist that you can dip/pour.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 175
Sorry about typo. Not sure how"linguist" made it in there. It's a can of liquid rubber made by plastidip. But I've heard to use a 2 part epoxy so not sure what's best.

Plastidip isn't a durable product with concerns to adhesion. It can be fairly easily peeled away.

With something like your trim I would use an epoxy style repair. It will require prepping of the surface and the use of an adhesion promoter as well.

It'll be somewhat difficult to do the repair while the glass is mounted to the vehicle. The issue would be an accidental bonding with the vehicle.

If you were wanting to just fill pitting it would have been a simple task of masking the trim, prepping the surface, using adhesion promoter and applying the product.

The epoxy will need to be sanded smooth after it hardens.

Reactions: 1 user
@Davedacarpainter
How well would sanding with 220 sandpaper and then using high fill primer and some finish sanding followed by several coats of SEM trim paint work?
It's worked for a lot of the guys here. I don't think you'll have to many problems doing it that way Joe.

The plastic epoxy repair kits would be a bit more durable though in the long run.