Quarter Window Trim Restoration?

88foxbodyowner

Jan 4, 2015
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm trying to get all the trim on my 88 looking good again and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do on these quarter Windows. I do not want to buy the plastic that sticks over the old. So if anyone knows of some things to do to it I would greatly appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

Lightly sand with 120 and mask off the glass. Spray with high build primer (2-3 coats) and sand again. Repeat until all pitting is filled and the spray with SEM trim black. Mine look as good as OEM Windows.

Reactions: 3 users
I cleaned and sanded mine down to knock the rough stuff down then filled the pits with Bumper Repair Epoxy, sanded them smooth, hit them with flexible primer and then finally SEM Trim Paint.

Reactions: 1 users
Bondo brand 2 part glazing putty worked surprisingly well as a filler on the last set i did, and sanded really well. I generally avoid that brand, but I highly recommend that stuff. You can go to my build thread on my son's car and see the pics.

Bondo brand 2 part glazing putty worked surprisingly well as a filler on the last set i did, and sanded really well. I generally avoid that brand, but I highly recommend that stuff. You can go to my build thread on my son's car and see the pics.
This is exactly what I did. Looks like new.

I bought a set of quarter Windows off CL years ago. Just need to find the time to restore them and swap them on.

They really make a huge difference in how the car looks when restored.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I bought a set of quarter Windows off CL years ago. Just need to find the time to restore them and swap them on.

They really make a huge difference in how the car looks when restored.

Big time. Follow that up with a repaint on the door window frames and glass trim front and rear and it really looks stellar.

Lightly sand with 120 and mask off the glass. Spray with high build primer (2-3 coats) and sand again. Repeat until all pitting is filled and the spray with SEM trim black. Mine look as good as OEM Windows.
Agreed ^^^^^ I'll add what he forgot to mention which is first you should remove the windows from the car, mask, sand, etc.....

If you don't remove the windows then you better be really good at masking the windows as well as the car itself.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a 50/50. If you have the time and inclination to restore them, it's not too bad. If you would rather shell out a few bills, that's easy too.

I'm the type that would rather spend the time and effort to DIY, vs paying the cash.

I just get more satisfaction this way

Agreed ^^^^^ I'll add what he forgot to mention which is first you should remove the windows from the car, mask, sand, etc.....

If you don't remove the windows then you better be really good at masking the windows as well as the car itself.
I used 3x5 index cards to slip in between the trim and the body and they also worked good on the trim to glass section too.