question about ignition and cam timing

D347643

Banned
Jan 28, 2003
portland, OR
I went to set my timing yesterday and with the spout in the pointer kept jumping around making it practically impossible to read what it was even at. with the spout out it didnt move around and i could set it easily. Any ideas on why this could be happening. I hooked up my test light to a battery outside my car for power, could that have something to do with it?

question 2, my stage 1 cam is advanced 2 degrees. Could advancing your cam cause you to pull less vac at idle cause im only pullin 12 inch of merc

thanks

Drew

• Sponsors (?)

with the spout in the computer is still in contreol of your timing and it continuasly makes adjuasments based on the info it recieves from youur sensors.with the spout out your timing is locked out and will not be affected by your computer advancing it and retarding it.

Ok but i am pretty sure when i checked it before it didnt jump around a lot like it was doing yesterday...haha it would jump from 20 to 10 to 15 etc. thats normal?
im not saying you are wrong im just asking.

If the idle is not rock steady when checking total timing (SPOUT in), then the timing will jump around. If you have a rock solid idle (no hint of surging, etc), and a hot motor, the timing should not jump much.

I am not familiar with the cam specs on yours, but advancing or retarding the cam can definately play with the vacuum characteristics since you are changing the incoming and outgoing air pulse but the piston's 'timing' does not change.

Good luck Drew.