question about replacing sparkplugs

rbmstng

Feb 25, 2002
white oak ga.
hey guys. just got my car out of the shop having the fuel pump replaced(ouch) and while i was there my mechanic said that when he brought up the codes it showed that #3 and #5 cylinders were misfiring a little. he said that it would be noticeable when the car is bogging a little. it seems a little early to be replacing the plugs (60,000 miles). so my question is do you have to pull the fuel rails to replace the plugs or will the coil packs wiggle out from under them. and also what plugs do you recommend putting back. i appreciate any input you can give. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

60,000 miles on stock platinum's is a little low but not that bad. I'd just replace them with factory parts unles you're going to be adding a supercharger or nitrous soon. You don't need to pull the fuel rails,just unplug the 2-wire connector to the coil plug and pull it out,it pops right off.

Are you guys on drugs thinking that 60k miles is early on stock plugs?? I replaced mine before 20k with Autolite 764s. My originals weren't bad, but I did want to try copper plugs and I might as well install new ones while they're out ... the Autolites are cheap and they work great. I basically wanted to pull mine just to put some anti-seize on the threads since the factory doesn't. Leaving those things in there for that long without anti-seize is just asking for trouble IMO. Guess who pays for a stripped-out head at 60k miles, if it should happen? ... not Ford.

01'TRUE BLUE GT said:
Are you guys on drugs thinking that 60k miles is early on stock plugs?? I replaced mine before 20k with Autolite 764s. My originals weren't bad, but I did want to try copper plugs and I might as well install new ones while they're out ... the Autolites are cheap and they work great. I basically wanted to pull mine just to put some anti-seize on the threads since the factory doesn't. Leaving those things in there for that long without anti-seize is just asking for trouble IMO. Guess who pays for a stripped-out head at 60k miles, if it should happen? ... not Ford.
My plugs came out fine, 47k on the stockers. :shrug:

In depth instructions.
http://www.bullittarchive.com/Maintenance/Spark_Plugs/

rbmstng said:
hey guys. just got my car out of the shop having the fuel pump replaced(ouch) and while i was there my mechanic said that when he brought up the codes it showed that #3 and #5 cylinders were misfiring a little. he said that it would be noticeable when the car is bogging a little. it seems a little early to be replacing the plugs (60,000 miles). so my question is do you have to pull the fuel rails to replace the plugs or will the coil packs wiggle out from under them. and also what plugs do you recommend putting back. i appreciate any input you can give. thanks.

if you're going to stay N/A just get some autolite resistor plugs 764's. they are copper and a step colder. You'll gain performance but lose life on the copper plugs. Copper = better performance shorter life (around 30k)
Platinum = less performance for longer life. (around 100k)

i have no problem with changing plugs so i got autolites. They are $10 for all 8 and no you don't need to remove the fuel rail. DO NOT CROSS THREAD THE SPARK PLUGS and little little anti-seize. (no that's not a typo).

when you're screwing in the new spark plugs make sure you hand tightened them first. good luck.