question for the paint and body people

I bought a 65' mustang that has been sandblasted and all the rust has been repaired. The guy then put rust encapsulator on the whole car except the hood fenders and doors. he then sealed most of the seams and lost interest.

I am going to leave the rust encapsulator on the pans and underside and will probably do their (eastwoods) undercoating system (unless anyone has something else to sugest). But I am wondering about the rust encapsulator on the main body surfaces. Should I leave it on and put the two part epoxy over it liek the previous owner was going to do? Or should i sand it off and start with something better? :shrug: If I leave it i will sand the surface rust away and touch up with rust encapsulator then put a two part epoxy over that. Sugjestions for which two part to use would be great.

I have heard that the rust encapsulator only holds for about a year if nothing is put over it right away. I do notice the slightest bit of surface rust in the paint in some areas. It won't be an everyday driver but its no weekend show car either.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I know you don't want to hear this, but if there's rust it has to go, no matter how slight it is. A paint job is no different than building a house, if the foundation sucks, the whole paint job is going to suck. If it were me, I'd sand the car to bare metal, hit it with epoxy primer and start from there. As for which epoxy to use, whatever brand of paint you plan to use also makes an epoxy primer, try to use one brand from start to finish. I know lots of painters use use a primer from one company, base coat from another company and yet another company's clear, but doing that is just asking for trouble.

Agreed, sand it to bare metal. The chemical composition of your sealer, primer, paint, clear,etc... should all be from one company. Leaving Encapsulator under it all could cause everything to peel later. Buying one brand for everything guarantees chemical compatibility.