Question on buying a used MSD 6al

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I know someone with a used MSD 6AL for sale. Its around 5yrs old, but in supposed working order. I know some MSD's have failed prematurely and wondered what could be done if it failed? Can it be sent back and repaired for less than a new one cost?

Is there only one ford wiring harness for both fox and 94-95's, or are there two different ones? The one I'm looking at has the ford wiring harness and it was on a fox.

• Sponsors (?)

I got mine used from a guy who had a Fox, and I have no idea how old it actually is. In fact, I've mounted it in the engine compartment, exactly what you're not supposed to do, but it's lasted me 4 years now. Maybe the trouble with the boxes that fail has something to do with the manufacture date and the electrical components used? BTW, there is only one harness, it just snaps inline with the factory harness at the coil.

Scott

I had a MSD digital6+ and traded that for a 6al as the tweecer lets me take out timing with a diff. tune.

The 6al is alot more solid than the digital6+. I had to send my digital6+ back in from a failure. In fact about 5-6 other people I know had to do the same thing. From what we were told it was a bad batch (all bought from the same shop that actually sold them cheaper than summit ro jegs). We sent them back to MSD who then tested and just sent out 100% new in box replacements everything new like if it was just bought. I was pissed that it failed but they took EERY good care of me and everyone else had the same to say.

There is a plug that goes into the coil that just allows you to simply plug in the box's wires. I recomend that and they are the same for fox's, sn95 5.0's, and even gen 1 lightnings. The wires are color coded and all, even the connections are the opposite of the ones on the factory box wire ends.

I have had the 6al (used) for 2yrs now and not one issue from it. I also know 3 other guys who have a 6al and are 6-10yrs old with not one issue from any.