Question on hood scoop?

• Sponsors (?)

GT4RL said:
I was wondering if they make a kit so the hood scoop will actually work and not just be there for looks.

RL

Its been done.. I am not sure about a kit but yeah I have seen it done before. Probably wouldint get any HP gains form it so not sure if its even worth the trouble. :shrug:

i respond too these threads weekly now...:D

yea it's possible i've done it. It's a lot of work, and no gains. I did it just to make people shut up about a fake scoop, but it makes a really gnarly sound when you get on it. I don't have any pictures of my process, nor any pictures now. My digital cam was thrown in the bathtub by my little brother and I have yet to spend the $200+ to get a new one. Heres the process:

1) Take off the heat sheild under your hood
2) Remove all clamps for the scoop and take it off
3) Drill holes inside of the honeycomb where pre-existing "fake" holes exists
4) Drill cut a perfect slit where the "v6" type of scoop sits...it's not covered in honeycomb, its just bare hood, so do this professionally
5) go to any hardware store and but 6 inch wide piping, but no taller than 1 1/2 inches...more and you wont be able to shut your hood
6) Mess around with piping so that at the end it is open so the air can reach your airbox. If you have the stock airbox...you'll have to remove the silencer, or get an FIPK.
7) Mount the plastic tubing on the hood right beneath the hole in the hood, and make it lead to the airfilter. (This part took me a long time because i had to keep shutting the hood to make sure it lined up correctly
8) If you want, you can install a rubber seal so that it won't let water in ( if you live in wet areas ) at the end right above the air filter
9) once you've finnished mounting, install the scoop back on and drive the car around to make sure there are no rattles of bolts you can fix.
10) I dynoed the car afterwards and saw absolutely no gains besides 1 rwtq. if you want power...ignore this mod. If you want just to have something cool, do it! It's kinda fun and you learn a lot of skills. It also sounds like its sucking in mad air past 40 mph when your foot is slammed on the gas pedal. Still prolly doesn't sound as cool as a shaker tho.

Well I am thanking you for the responses, I was not really looking for HP gain just wanted to make it functional.....Oh who am I kidding I wanted HP gain also! Thanx again for the info.

RL

It would be nice to make it functional, if for no other reason, because it's there...why not. You think someone would have come up with a kit to do it by now. I see alot of requests for this. I heard the CDC shaker is only good for a few rwhp, so even if it didn't help in performance, it would be nice just knowing. My .02

3ponyshow said:
It would be nice to make it functional, if for no other reason, because it's there...why not. You think someone would have come up with a kit to do it by now. I see alot of requests for this. I heard the CDC shaker is only good for a few rwhp, so even if it didn't help in performance, it would be nice just knowing. My .02

I heard that someone did make a kit. I thought it was CDC, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, there wasn't enough demand for it, so they stopped production. Too bad because I'd like one. :(

GTMomma02 said:
I heard that someone did make a kit. I thought it was CDC, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, there wasn't enough demand for it, so they stopped production. Too bad because I'd like one. :(

GTMomma - You can still find the kits and they are made by "Kar Kraft" I find lots on EBay, they are still slightly expensive but functional!"

Karkraft does make a kit to fit the Mach 1 shaker hood scoop to a GT. The kit is around $600. It does not come with a Mach 1 hood which would be necessary so you have to add the cost of the Mach 1 hood and paint. CDC also still sells their shaker hood kit with is around the same price but, you don't need a new hood so in the end it is cheaper. Most don't like the applique though.

Personally I would much rather put the money into mods that net HP which will shut those whiners up about your fake hood scoop more than rigging your current scoop.

Here is a picture of the Kar Kraft ram air kit, as installed on my 00 Gt. The picture is a bid dark, but you get the idea. It was only about 4:30, I'm not sure why it came out so dark.
attachment.php

Kar Kraft stopped production of the kit a few years ago. They still appear on ebay, and on classified sections such as the one located on www.corral.net. Installation was very easy, and it is like factory. There is a 3 stage water entrapment system, necessary whenever there is an opening in the hood that large.