Question on Magnaflow Exhaust Mod idea???

2002YellowGTGuy

Founding Member
Mar 25, 2002
Wisconsin
Guys-

Currently the 01 GT I bought a week ago has the factory stock exhaust system and I'd like to replace it with something louder but nice at cruising speed. I've had a full Magnaflow system with the magnapacks on my old 02GT and that's the sound I loved however I'm not interested in getting a full stainless system but rather would like to replace the mufflers with the magnapacks and the outlets with the magnaflow tips. It looks like I can buy these for $120 or so online and I have a shop that will weld them in for me. I'm thinking the sound will be pretty much the same as I used to have. What are everybody's thoughts on this? Thanks.

I was also thinking of going the Cherry Bomb route but I'm afraid it will sound crappy or be too loud at crusing speed with glasspacks.

• Sponsors (?)

Save up for a full Cat back and put them in your self, can be done in flat driveway or a back yard. You just have to Cut the exhaust side of the muffler so you don't have to drop the rear end and Whalla! "You wouldn't have a man screw your wife and then brag about how good he was, why would you have someone install parts on your car and brag about how fast your car was," not my quote but, you get the point. At the end of the day a Full Cat back will cost the same as weld in mufflers and paying someone to put them end but, its your car and your ears.

I tried the weld in route once (on a GM I owned....I know 2 bad decisions) and the car sounded WAAAAAYYYYY better when I eventually changed to a full (Borla) cat back. After that waste of money trying to create something out of nothing, I have always only gone with a true cat back system designed for the specific car.

+1 on the stock size being 2 1/4". Pipe diameter has a huge effect on sound, as well as a pretty big difference in performance. I would consider looking at how much an exhaust shop would charge you to fabricate up a 2.5" catback with the mufflers and tips you choose. The average going rate for something like that around me is $150-300.

I had an 01 GT with full flowmaster catback and it souded great. I now have a 99 GT and it had welded in flowmasters into stock exhaust (bought that way) and it sounded awful :shrug:. I just installed the full size magnaflow catback system yesterday. What a difference :nice:. Now that I'm a little older I prefer the magnaflow sound over the flowmasters. It's got nice sound down low and on the highway (no 2k drone) I can actually listen to my stereo without needing to crank it up over the exhaust. And if I'm driving with someone I'll be able to hold a conversation without talking over the exhaust either. You might save yourself a little $ upfront by welding in the magnapacks into the stock exhaust, but don't think it'll sound the way your 02 GT did with the full magnaflow catback. Just this girl's humble opinion :rolleyes:

What Shiroelex said RE the exhaust shop labor rate.

If the "weld in" route winds up costing almost as much as the price of a FULL CATBACK, well then, it would make much more sense to just order up the full catback and install it in your garage/driveway, etc.

:cheers:

I do appreciate all the opinions for sure. My local shop just built me a single exhaust with muffler for my diesel truck for $175 so it's pretty possible that I'd be looking at $300 with straight pipes or a little more with weld in cherry bombs, Magnapacks etc. Althought I did love my Magnaflows I'm still thinking about going straight or the Cherry bomb route. I'm not concerned about cost and I can defiantly afford to do a full catback from any of the leading manufacturers but I'm trying to get some value for my dollars, have nice sounds, and not drone to loud for when my son and I go for a cruise.

I do appreciate all the opinions for sure. My local shop just built me a single exhaust with muffler for my diesel truck for $175 so it's pretty possible that I'd be looking at $300 with straight pipes or a little more with weld in cherry bombs, Magnapacks etc. Althought I did love my Magnaflows I'm still thinking about going straight or the Cherry bomb route. I'm not concerned about cost and I can defiantly afford to do a full catback from any of the leading manufacturers but I'm trying to get some value for my dollars, have nice sounds, and not drone to loud for when my son and I go for a cruise.

If you want nice sounds, I would forgo the cherry bomb route and go for some 'packs or a straight through muffler. There's lots of options out there, just pick what you think is the best sounding. I searched around on Youtube for Mustang Exhaust and listened to a lot of videos before I went with Mac on my last 'Stang.