Question regarding power source

96s281

Founding Member
Sep 17, 2002
Hey everyone, I just noticed the other day that even when my car is turned off, anything plugged into the power source (the outlet by the shifter) is still on. I noticed this on my Sirius Sportster - even though the car is off, the red standby light remains on.

My question is if this drains the battery? I figure it would drain it , but very slowly, and I unplug the player each time I get out of the car just to be safe.

Anybody know if this power source continues to give off power even when the car is off? If so, is it enough to drain a battery if left for a long period of time?

• Sponsors (?)

i don't know how long it would take for this to drain the battery, but yes, the cigarette adapter is still on when the ignition is off.

when i hooked up my xm radio, i decided i didn't want to unplug it every time i left the car. instead, i bought a cigarette adapter from radio shack and installed it behind the factory radio, using a 12V power source that switches off when the car is off. it hides the power wire behind the dash and will prevent any drain on the battery.

inferno9898 said:
i don't know how long it would take for this to drain the battery, but yes, the cigarette adapter is still on when the ignition is off.

when i hooked up my xm radio, i decided i didn't want to unplug it every time i left the car. instead, i bought a cigarette adapter from radio shack and installed it behind the factory radio, using a 12V power source that switches off when the car is off. it hides the power wire behind the dash and will prevent any drain on the battery.

That might be an idea but for right now I don't mind pulling it out every time :rolleyes:

Besides, I have so much crap hiding behind my radio and under the center console due to the Sirius Sportster and the FM Modulator Relay I just got to eliminate static.

Thanks guys :nice: