questions about a 94' dohc engine

XtorT'r

Jun 11, 2003
Minnesota, YAAA
I found a seemingly cheap 4.6 dohc up by me but I can't remember what all I need to look for on it.
If I get it I will be trying to convert it to be basically a 99 cobra engine with more power :D . There would be some rebuilding/reconditioning involved here.
I guess I have a few questions:
Is this one of the years that might have a teksid block?
Are the heads worthless crap?
Is the crank going to be 8 or 6 bolt?
Would I need to relocate the oil filter?

I am trying to find out if it was FWD or RWD. I'm not really sure whats different on those.

• Sponsors (?)

The 4.6L DOHC Cam motor was out in 1993 in the Lincoln Mark VIII and possibly a FWD Lincoln. The 4.6 SOHC came out in 1991.

If it is out of a Mark VIII, it is a Teksid block. It will have a 6 Bolt crank. I think those heads are junk. You will only need to relocate the filter if you want to.

stay away from the early MK8 DOHC's (1993 to 1995) as they are different than the 1996 up. there are quite a few engine parts for the 93 to 95's DOHC engines that are no longer aval from Ford, DO NOT interchange wth the later models and are NOT aval from the aftermarket

I owned a '93 Mark 8.

The engine is rated at 280HP but through a single exhaust. Using a Mustang exhaust it would be higher, around 290-295HP.

Unfortunately take a look at the engine. Nothing really from a Mustang here. The 97-98 Mark 8 engines do look like the 99-01 Cobra engines slightly.

They are tekskid blocks though

Mark14.jpg