Questions about inner door panel

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
I am changing the door handle on my LX. When I pulled the interior door panel off, I noticed a piece of plastic covering the door. It looks like it keeps water from getting on the panel. Obviously I have to pull it off to get to the handle. My question is do I put it back on when I am finished? It looks like it is not reusable. Do I have to put that insulation in too? That stuff was falling all over me when I was under the door getting the plastic screws out. Also, do I drill the rivets out from the outside or inside? One other question. My door lock is not working. Does anyone have any input on what could be wrong? The actuator works, the lock won't go down. It must be bent or something. Thought I would fix this while I have it apart. Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

5.0 Nostalgia said:
I am changing the door handle on my LX. When I pulled the interior door panel off, I noticed a piece of plastic covering the door. It looks like it keeps water from getting on the panel. Obviously I have to pull it off to get to the handle. My question is do I put it back on when I am finished? It looks like it is not reusable. Do I have to put that insulation in too? That stuff was falling all over me when I was under the door getting the plastic screws out. Also, do I drill the rivets out from the outside or inside? One other question. My door lock is not working. Does anyone have any input on what could be wrong? The actuator works, the lock won't go down. It must be bent or something. Thought I would fix this while I have it apart. Thanks for the help.
:bang: :shrug: First things first. Yes you should put the plastic liner back on the door. If you are careful, you can peel it back and reuse it. You may need to use some type of tape to resecure it.Same goes for the insulation, it is just that. It helps keep cold air from entering the interior. You drill the rivets from the side you are working from. Take a punch and knock the center of the rivet out first and then drill it. It will be much easier. Most of the time when the door locks don't work it's because the actuator has gone bad. Most likely that's the problem. They will tend to make noise when activated but won't move the rod. Is this the problem in your case? I have already replaced both of mine in my 92. Hope this helps!!! :nice:

Thanks for the help with the handle. That's is actually what I thought I should do. With the lock, I don't think it is the actuator because I can't physically pull the lock up and down. This problem occured just after the door handle broke.

Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems http://jrichker.stangnet.com/Mustang_tech/door_actuator_fix/1_of_8_door_actuator.htm

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $4. Fix one side for $17, do both sides for only $23. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.