Questions about putting a AOD tranny in a 68 289 Coupe?

5-oh stang

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
I was thinking of doing this swap as i have a good AOD with a Great shift kit! I also have a 2500 lock-up stall converter. I would like to know what flywheel to use and also can i buy long tube headers that will fit with the AOD? Will the C4 flywheel work? Also will the standard long tube headders for this car fit alright with the AOD even though they were designed for the C4? Will the driveshaft work? And finally anyone with info regarding the shift linkage and the Tv cable hook ups please chime in here. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

1.you need to use the flywheel from AOD and have it balanced to the 289 flywheel your taking off.
2. 289 headers will not work - MAC makes headers for this swap to fit around an AOD in early model stang.
3.you can also use 351 windsor headers that will fit around the AOD but will hang a little lower than normal long tubes.( i have summit 351 long tubes)
4.need a starter for AOD or use a C4 starter and shim it out with spacers.
5.stock driveshaft will not work. first you need to find a solid driveshaft then have it shortened.the front yoke needs to be off an AOD late model driveshaft then connect it to the driveshaft using custom u-joints.
6.shifter linkage-can use original shifter from a late model(i'm using Hurst Z-gate shifter with the cable kit it comes with)
7.TV cable-can be used off a Ford van or you can get it with your conversion kit.
8.transmission cross member also needs to be replaced/made.you can also get this in the AOD swap kit.C4 mount will work!
9.DO NOT DRIVE with the AOD installed untill taken to a shop to adjust the pressure.not even around the block!

any other questions just let me know!

A couple of things...

I don't know about long tubes, but I've got the Hedman shortys on my 302 and they fit perfectly. And I don't know if you read the recent article in Hot Rod (or was it Car Craft, or maybe PHR), but shortys and long tubes perform very equally overall. While the shortys give up maybe 5-10 lbft. of torque below 4k rpm, they showed a horsepower increase of 5-10 hp over 4k. This may actually be a benefit depending on your traction.

Next, the flywheel you need must have the correct balance for the engine (28oz for early models, and I think its 50oz. for late models), but have 164 teeth. My original flywheel (from my FMX) was already the right one, so check yours, and you might get lucky. You can get an AOD flywheel rebalanced, but a new one may be just as cheap ($50 at NPD).

For the driveshaft, you'll probably need to have it shortened (I didn't, but I was going from an FMX to the AOD, and it is in a '70). As for the ujoints, I was able to use my originals, nothing custom needed. So compare yours and see if they match up.

About the TV cable... 12sec67 is right when he says not to drive the car at all until it is adjusted correctly. AODs are very sensitive to TV cable setting, and if not adjusted properly, they will burn up in no time (less than 10 minutes I've heard). I went with the Lokar TV cable setup, which I can recommend for its simplicity and quality. Easy to install, easy to adjust (as long as you follow the procedures exactly), and pretty inexpensive (less than $50 last time I checked).

And just to clarify what 12sec67 said, your C4 crossmember will not work, but the mount will. You will need to either fabricate or purchase a crossmember. I had one made based on one of the aftermarket company's and lots of measuring (with the tranny propped in place); end cost was $35 (compared to $120 that Windsor-Fox wants).

Anyway, I hope that helps... :shrug:

DarkBuddha said:
I don't know about long tubes, but I've got the Hedman shortys on my 302 and they fit perfectly. And I don't know if you read the recent article in Hot Rod (or was it Car Craft, or maybe PHR), but shortys and long tubes perform very equally overall. While the shortys give up maybe 5-10 lbft. of torque below 4k rpm, they showed a horsepower increase of 5-10 hp over 4k. This may actually be a benefit depending on your traction.

Here's a pic of Headman Elite long tubes in a 67 with 351W and AOD:
randpsmall1.jpg

There's plenty of room with these units for the tranny. A coupe or fastback will not have the problem with the collectors being so close to the floors, this convertible is going to require a skilled exhaust man. Not too hard but not a job for just any muffler shop either.

Attachments

• randpsmall1.jpg
    randpsmall1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 179
Edbert said:
Here's a pic of Headman Elite long tubes in a 67 with 351W and AOD:
randpsmall1.jpg

There's plenty of room with these units for the tranny. A coupe or fastback will not have the problem with the collectors being so close to the floors, this convertible is going to require a skilled exhaust man. Not too hard but not a job for just any muffler shop either.

That fuel ine is too close to the headers...there is going to be vapor lock! I might add, that was a tight fit around the oil pan.

Attachments

• randpsmall1.jpg
    randpsmall1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 728
So will those headers designed for the 351W fit the 289/AOD Combination? Anyone have a part number and a price on those, i don't want to tie a lot of money up in a set of headders but i want the cheapest long tube headers that will fit. Also do the headers have to go in after the transmission is in or can the headers be put on and then the tranny put in?

Thanks A LOT!!!! :hail2: :D :nice:

With a tilt mechanism on your lift, anything will fit...with a little patience. You may have to add the motor mounts after the engine is almost in though. With the width of the AOD, it may 'touch' when lowering into the engine bay.