Could not pass this up .. guess the AOD is out

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
So we all know finding a Fox Body in a junkyard these days is like finding an honest politician, Long gone are the days when there were multiple Fox Body cars in the yard. I get an alert Friday night that a 93 GT just arrived and I show up the next morning at 8 am to be one of the first to get in at 9am. There were already 20 people in line. Luckily, I know the yard well and was the first person to get to the car. The Damn A9L was already pulled before it hit the yard- most likely by an employee, However, the complete 5spd, bellhousing, shifter, etc are all there. I crawl underneath and notice the T5 looks really clean. After pulling it out , it looks like it was recently rebuilt. Zero play on the input shaft shifts really well. new fluid, now wear on the retainer... same for the clutch and pressure plate,, maybe a few thousand miles..... I pull the trans, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, bellhousing, backing plate, crossmember, along with the 140 gauge cluster and housing. with my bad back takes me 3 hours of hell in 90 degree heat. Man not getting any younger ! Load everything up and get to the cashier. The cashier looks everything in my wheelbarrow and adds it all up... total $165.....:nice: Who am I to argue? I say thank you and pay the man and leave- quickly

So,,,, now assemblying the following parts to do the swap. think I will have about $900 total spent when all is said and done before selling off the stock Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, shifter. I am keeping the built AOD, TCI converter, lines, cooler, B&M shifter, cross member, TV cable as you never know what the future holds. If I sold them it would easily pay for the parts. I may swap in an A9L I have for the A9P that is in there along with the chip with the tune. Probably take a few weekends to complete.

Firewall adjuster- have
Steeda Adjustable Cable $45 Ebay
Steeda Triax $120 Ebay
FMS T/O bearing $15 Ebay
Brass shift fork keys $20
FMS SFI Billet Flywheel $200 Ebay
CenterForce Dual Friction Clutch and Pressure Plate $360 Amazon
FMS Steel Bearing Retainer $35 Ebay
Poly Trans Member Bushings $20 Ebay
Poly Trans Mount $40 Amazom
Reverse Light Harness $30 LMR
Speedo Gear $15 LMR
Shifter boot and bezel $30 ebay
ARP Flywheel bolts - have
Belhousing Bolts - $10
FRPP Clutch and PP Bolts $20
FRPP Clutch Pivot ball $12 Ebay
Clutch Fork- reuse as its new
Merc V $15
5sp pedal assembly with alum quadrant- had already
FRPP alum driveshaft- reuse

Yeah I know its a T5 and they are like glass,, yada yada... I don't race the car, I don't beat on it. I've run T5's in cars with 500hp and not blown them up. It's a weekend toy . Just like the "experts" say my AOD was going to blow up 5 years ago.

20210601_183858.jpg
20210601_183818.jpg
20210530_123345.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Sweet pick up! I always check one pick and pull yard around here, bc they show the inventory online where the other one doesn’t. I’ve lucked out a few times, where others it’s all junk. Mostly 96-15 typically v6. Haven’t found any gold like you did. I’m always sketched out to get under the car, it’s usually muddy, and the typical jack stands of old rims welded together is just a disaster waiting to happen!!

Sweet pick up! I always check one pick and pull yard around here, bc they show the inventory online where the other one doesn’t. I’ve lucked out a few times, where others it’s all junk. Mostly 96-15 typically v6. Haven’t found any gold like you did. I’m always sketched out to get under the car, it’s usually muddy, and the typical jack stands of old rims welded together is just a disaster waiting to happen!!

i hear you . i lay down the trunk mat underneath and throw some tires under the car as well for added safety. That car was picked cleaner than a turkey in one day.