Questions on 351w build

ForrestTurbo67

Apr 23, 2011
Okay I am going to put in a 351w into my mustang soon, and im not sure exactly how i wanna build it up. i wanna run somewhere in the 12's quarter but i want a street/strip engine. Its going into my 67 mustang coupe which only weighs 2750 with a I6 right now it has a c4 tranny. so with good power it should be pretty easy to go fast.

Okay parts i already have: 650 Holley carb, mild cam, gt-40 heads.

Also I was looking at these hooker dark side headers wondering if they are any good. I need a good exhaust system also wanted to put electric cutouts also but don't know which i should. Any thoughts nd comments?

Thanks dave

• Sponsors (?)

first, dump the GT40 heads, sell them to someone building a 289 or 302, and get yourself a set of world products windsor sr heads, or a set of afr 205s, or even the edelbrock victor jr heads.

you mentioned a mild cam, what specs? you are going to want a cam that works in the 1500-6500 rpm range to get into the 12's. understand that the rear end will need to be upgraded to a healthy 8" at least, a 9" would be better in this case.

you are also going to want to upgrade to a 750cfm carb as well, the 650 wont be enough.

as for headers, you are going to want a header with a 1 5/8" primary tube, 1 3/4" is better, and a 3" to 3 1/2" collector.

as for an intake, you want at least a weiand stealth intake or an edelbrock performer rpm air gap intake. with around 10:1 compression, you should be making about 450-500hp depending on how well you can tune the engine combination. with 3.89 gears and decent tires, that should get you into the high 12s.

Windsor Jr/Sr heads were great when they came out 25 years ago or whenever, but compared to a TFS or AFR, they suck. I wouldn't waste my time with them especially with their relocated spark plugs. If all you're trying to do is get into the hi to mid 12s, no need to get a monster cylinder head. I bet a TFS 170 would easily be enough with the right setup, or go with a 185 for a little more room to grow down the road. With something like a stage 2 cam, 3000 stall converter, and a 4.10 gear there should be no excuse to go slower than mid 12s. If you want to keep the gt40 heads, they'll work, but I would definitely do some port work to them.