Questions on rear end of 90lx

logonhappy

May 28, 2021
mn
Well I am back, with another question. I started looking into why the rear end on my 90 mustang lx 2.3 converted carbbed 5.0 hatchback is sagging. I already replaced springs, started looking and saw atleast the drivers upper torque box is ripped. I haven't checked the others quite yet. So first can ripped torque boxes cause my rear end to sag? Second if they are just slightly torn am I good to weld the seams and weld in reinforcements? I'm just trying to figure out if I should buy replacement boxes if I go ahead doing the repairs, otherwise I might just sell the car. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

what would make the torque boxes rip? I'm assuming the 2.3 and 5.0 used the same torque box metal/thickness/reinforcements? Is your 5.0 motor making a LOT of power? Did you replace the upper rear control arms with poly instead of rubber? Not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious, I knew the torque boxes could get beat up, but I thought that was from dudes running stroked/power adder mills? (Maybe that's what you've got?)

what would make the torque boxes rip? I'm assuming the 2.3 and 5.0 used the same torque box metal/thickness/reinforcements? Is your 5.0 motor making a LOT of power? Did you replace the upper rear control arms with poly instead of rubber? Not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious, I knew the torque boxes could get beat up, but I thought that was from dudes running stroked/power adder mills? (Maybe that's what you've got?)

Rear torque boxes can rip on any fox that's driven hard. Street tires and hard launches can tear torque boxes. The metal gets fatigued over time. I've had cars with stock bushings that destroyed torque boxes.

If you have cracks they can be straightened, welded up, and reinforcements installed. The proper way is to find the end of the crack and drill a hole in it first so it won't spread.

I'm not making alot of power maybe around 260hp max but that would still be pushing it. Maybe after my new cam. But the car has been driven hard not much by me but the couple previous owners. Glad I shouldn't have to replace the boxes, but can the bad boxes cause my rear end to sag?

Bad boxes and / or bushings can cause the rear to sag. Do the hatch and door gaps line up ?

Doors and hatch appear to be fine. Hatch didn't close nicely when I got it. I got a bushing for the striker for the hatch and closed just fine then. Drivers door does sit a lil low all together but the hinges are bad or the pin bushings