Quietest Performance Muffler?????

• Sponsors (?)

That is not what I wanted to hear. I don't care about much about small hp increases/decreases. I just want her to be quieter that the MAC Flowpaths on there now. Your saying your Magnaflows are loud? That's not so nice. Maybe I should have went with the Borla Pro XS mufflers.

My magnaflows weren't that loud when i first got them, but 5 years on they are definitely loud enough. I'm so glad I didn't get the Magnapacks.

FYI - Magnaflows have offset in and out, Magnapacks are literally straight thru.

fwiw, i just picked up a set of Hooker Aero-Chambers. According to Hooker, they are quiter than Super Turbo's by about 3 decibles, and they flow 441cfm compared to 360 for the Dynomax Super Turbo's.

I have an off-road prochamber also and Im getting these welded in this week. I'll post some vids as soon as I can.

fwiw they do look like they flow very well.

aerochamber.jpg

I ordered a set of Magnaflow Mufflers (#3 on list) part #11236. Waiting to see how they sound installed with a MAC Pro Chamber and MAC catback (now to be a hybrid catback).

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):

1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.
6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.
7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.
15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

Where's SLP? And is Mac really that loud? If so, I'm definately going with a Mac catback.

FYI - Magnaflows have offset in and out, Magnapacks are literally straight thru.

True, but to clarify... Straight through refers to the fact that there is no redirection of exhaust flow (chamber), or flow through muffling material (like a catalytic converter for example). The way a magnaflow muffler works is it's a pipe (bent or straight doesn't matter, it's still "straight-thru") with HUNDREDS of tiny little holes drilled in it, then that pipe is encased with fiber dampening material, which is then encased in an alloy case (the muffler). Amount of sound dampening depends on size of the muffler and shape of the case.

Magnaflows sound badass, Borla XS sound sick too - never heard the hookers.

Where's SLP? And is Mac really that loud? If so, I'm definately going with a Mac catback.

Yes, MAC is THAT loud. I had the MAC Pro Chamber installed with a stock catback and it sounded good. I wanted more flow from my my catback. After installing the MAC catback with the Pro Chamber, it was very loud. The thing just screams. I'll sell you my new pair of MAC flowpaths real cheap! Maybe even throw in free shipping just to get rid of these noise makers :)

Yes Mac's are loud. I love them, im running their catback with a UPR offroad X pipe.

With the tailpipes attatched they still make a good bit of noise in the car but its toned down. They werent loud enough for me so I took the tailpipes off and they are coming straight over and down over the axle. Now its beastly loud and has an amazing tone to it...:hail2:

They arent SLP loud, but they are nice for a chambered muffler and sound good with any midpipe IMO. Ill post a clip in a minute.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5f5a817c-b38e-4353-9989-990800dd3844.htm

couple of WOT blasts, may have to switch to Windows Media for sound.

True, but to clarify... Straight through refers to the fact that there is no redirection of exhaust flow (chamber), or flow through muffling material (like a catalytic converter for example). The way a magnaflow muffler works is it's a pipe (bent or straight doesn't matter, it's still "straight-thru") with HUNDREDS of tiny little holes drilled in it, then that pipe is encased with fiber dampening material, which is then encased in an alloy case (the muffler). Amount of sound dampening depends on size of the muffler and shape of the case.

Magnaflows sound badass, Borla XS sound sick too - never heard the hookers.

I know. I said "literally" straight thru to try and point out they there is no in/out offset.

I had Mac Flowpaths with my MRT-catted H and they where loud with lots of drone. I then got Magnapacks welded in and they are some what louder then the Flowpaths but with less drone. I have heard that magnaflows are one of the quietest mufflers out but have one of the highest flow rates. If I was you I would get the magnaflows.

From what ive experienced from different types of mufflers (chambered, or straight through) was that my 40 series flows I had were louder on the inside of the car than the Magnaflows, but quieter on the outside. They created lots of interior drone, but my Magnaflows dont have much at all. The straight through mufflers seem to be louder than chambered on the outside of the car though.

Dude dont get those cheap heavy crappy flowing turbo's. Theres 2 180 degree bends in 'em. And they are rolled not welded so you can blow them out. My cousin has done it. You want something quieter that wont kill perfromance get some Flow Delta 50's. Quiet at cruise but sound good when you get on it. Some say Flows kill performance but I dont get it since many drag, oval, and off road racers use 'em.

yep

Yes, the Steeda catback is very quiet, the FR500 catback is probably THE quietest catback while still being an excellent performer. The original poster was asking for muffler suggestions though and so I didn't mention them since they are only sold as a catback.