R-12 alternatives.. has anyone used this?

• Sponsors (?)

Why get alternatives, when you can get R12 on ebay? i heard that R12 freeze is junk though.

Later Ant

You have to email the seller before purchasing it-voiding hsi resposnbilty that you are reselling it to an authorized EPA tech. or if you are qualified and have the cert. 609-You can buy it outright. Its just expensive though..... But if you need it, then so be it-what can you do.

I do hvac work, and if you can get someone to get you some RB276 or 420a refrigerant this is a true drop in for r-12. And is about a 1/4 of the price. If you are somewhere near charlotte nc I can do it for you for a small fee

I do hvac work, and if you can get someone to get you some RB276 or 420a refrigerant this is a true drop in for r-12. And is about a 1/4 of the price. If you are somewhere near charlotte nc I can do it for you for a small fee

I wish i was in N.C.-You'd have a customer! hahahaha Unfortunatley im in NYC land of the toll roads and potholed-****hole of a citY!

Later Ant

I had freeze 12 put in my car either last year or the summer before. The shop evacuated the system and put in 3 or 4 cans of freeze 12. So far so good. I can't argue all the good and bad points, just that my car has it and the a/c works. The carquest auto parts store carries it in my little town.

Be careful

Be careful witht hat freeze stuff, i heard it has propane in it, which is highly fammable. God forbid of a leak someplace in the engine compartment, and a spark-say from the alternator, Not the safest scenario. Just be careful-Bud.

Later Anthony

I had freeze 12 put in my car either last year or the summer before. The shop evacuated the system and put in 3 or 4 cans of freeze 12. So far so good. I can't argue all the good and bad points, just that my car has it and the a/c works. The carquest auto parts store carries it in my little town.

Be careful witht hat freeze stuff, i heard it has propane in it, which is highly fammable. God forbid of a leak someplace in the engine compartment, and a spark-say from the alternator, Not the safest scenario. Just be careful-Bud.

Later Anthony

I am sure it does not have propane in it cus that would make it illegal to ship and their site would ahv eto have some sort of disclaimer some where.

glowstang: how does it cool? Is it like R12?

I am sure it does not have propane in it cus that would make it illegal to ship and their site would ahv eto have some sort of disclaimer some where.

Dude-Its make up is 55% R22, 41% R142B and 4% Isobutane. Isobutane is a hydro carbon that is very FLAMMABLE! take it from there. Like i stated-I wouldnt use it in my car, You think different, which is cool-We all have our opinions. Plus if your car doesnt have neoprene o-rings on the compressor, it will eat them up and cause leaks, causing a leakage, i dont need to say hat can happen next.

Anthony

P.S. they will ship them, only GROUND service, not next day due to contnets are highly flammable and are classified as hazmat.

The r-12 alternative stuff works great to top a system off with r-12, but not to completly fill a system. Switch to 134 if you drain it. I don't think you need to change anything at all really anymore to do the switch now. You used ot have to do o-rings and other misc items.

To use an alternatoive/substitute like AUTOFROST, you have chnage the fittings on the lines and use a different can tap. I looked into this. The can tap is $15 and the replacement valves are $2.50 a pop. You need 2 of them.

The r-12 alternative stuff works great to top a system off with r-12, but not to completly fill a system. Switch to 134 if you drain it. I don't think you need to change anything at all really anymore to do the switch now. You used ot have to do o-rings and other misc items.

quote from http://autorefrigerants.com/co00030.htm

Freeze-12 is an alternative refrigerant designed to replace R-12 or 134a in air conditioning systems. Performance and efficiency is very similar to that of R-12 (Freon) and better than that of 134a. It is non-flammable, is EPA accepted and contains zero CFC's! It is the ideal replacement for older R-12 systems because it works with existing R-12 lubricant. Mechanically, one may tap the cans with either the unique Freeze-12 cantap or a universal side-tap. The universal sidetap would allow one to use standard R-12 gauges with the cans. Further below we also offer the 30 lb. cylinders equipped with R-12 fittings for ease of use.

quote from http://www.sherco-auto.com/fr4012.htm

FREEZE 12™ is a patented product.

FREEZE 12™ is non-flammable and contains no CFC'S.

FREEZE 12™ is made from readily available raw materials.

FREEZE 12™ is an ideal replacement for R-12 requiring no extensive training.

FREEZE 12™ requires no system flushes or lubricant change. It works with the existing R-1 2 lubricant.

FREEZE 12™ is the ideal replacement for older R-12 A/C systems that normally require expensive retrofitting to R-134a.

FREEZE 12™ is priced below R-12.

FREEZE 12™ is lighter than R-12 therefore you will not have to use as much. Approximately 90% of the required R-12 charge is all that is need
ed.

Here is the link to the MSDS sheet for Freeze 12
http://www.technicalchemical.com/msds/6030.pdf

I don't see anything stating it is flammable, especially with a flashpoint greater than 300 degrees Fahrenheit. As far as cooling, it does fine, no complaints.

Hey man,
whatever works-ya know. just looking out for a fellowstanger. I know 2 people that has had prob's with it. (#1 firend-fire hazard incident, #2-friend problems with comprssor right after mixing) but im not getting into that. It works for you, Thats all that matters. as for me-I'm looking to gran some oldschool R12, and pay whatever for it-That just makes me feel better within myself.
Cool deal, anthony

anyone buy R12 off ebay?? I saw many people selling it...

I've bought it off eBay, and all I did was just emailed a bunch of sellers before buying and asked them if they would sell to me if I told them I was buying for a licensed tech to install or buying to resell and most of them were just like "yeah, sure, whatever".

When I bought my car it had been converted to R-134 or possibly the Freeze 12 stuff and it totally sucked! I just bought R12 off eBay and converted it back and all was good.

DITTO-same here. Why knock yourself out, when you can still obrtain it, is my thory, just a few more bucks.

I've bought it off eBay, and all I did was just emailed a bunch of sellers before buying and asked them if they would sell to me if I told them I was buying for a licensed tech to install or buying to resell and most of them were just like "yeah, sure, whatever".

yeah I think I am going to do this. I need to replace one hose and Ill replace all the "O" rings just ot make sure they are all good. I sam some oil/dirt at one of the fittings on the compressor this past weekend. I will get the stuff them take it over to the shop for evac and recharge using my R-12.

It may need oil too, what kind of oil do i need?

The R12 based systems use a mineral oil.
See http://www.midwayautosupply.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=6863&affiliateid=10050
EFP-490.jpg

Cost is $11 plus shipping