Raced a Monte Carlo SS....???

Boss2000

Founding Member
Jul 6, 2001
Louisiana
Has anyone ever raced a monte carlo SS before? I saw one parked at Wal-mart yesterday and it had dual exhaust on it (it looked stock). What type of engine does it have? I'm guessing the 05 stang would kill it, but has anyone ever raced one in their v6? GT?

• Sponsors (?)

Monte Carlo SS with Supercharger info:

Chevy has decided to equip the -i04 Impala/Monte Carlo Supercharged SS with a blown 3800 V-6 rated at 240 horsepower and 280 lb-ft. Not gut-wrenching numbers, but a step up from the current 160- and 200-horse V-6s ...

0-60 6.8

well the v6 stangs are rated at 0-60 in 6.9. Bet i could take one in mine now that i have the exhuast redone. What also surprises me is that they're all front wheel drive and all automatics....

echo7 said:
well the v6 stangs are rated at 0-60 in 6.9. Bet i could take one in mine now that i have the exhuast redone. What also surprises me is that they're all front wheel drive and all automatics....

Yeah, with a CAI and exhaust, I'm sure you can take one no problem.

Just rode in one today, 2001 SS, supercharged, and i know from the feel i could run circles around it in my V6. It also had 225/60/16 truck tires on it, bah, and thats top of the line? hah!

I seriously doubt a 4.0L V6 Mustang can run with a SCed SS. 240 HP vs 210, SS is a lighter car and has 3.29's compared to your 3.31's out back. I also know for a fact that the MC SS was not SCed in 2001.

SS is heavier, and I'm sure an '05 V6 could beat the 240 HP version in real life. Have you ever tried to launch a FWD car? Not an easy task, I assure you, even with the ground-pounding 200 lb/ft of torque in my wife's station wagon.

MSN Carpoint says the '04 Monte with blower runs the 1/4 in 15.15 at 95.6, so it should be a dead heat. But, with a typical driver trying to launch 280 lb/ft on a FWD car...the Mustang would win.

TGJ said:
I seriously doubt a 4.0L V6 Mustang can run with a SCed SS. 240 HP vs 210, SS is a lighter car and has 3.29's compared to your 3.31's out back. I also know for a fact that the MC SS was not SCed in 2001.

Well maybe thats why, it felt like it could barely do a 0-60 in 8...

That 3800 V6 Supercharged engine is the same engine I have in my wife's Buick Regal GS, however the newer years are rated a tad higher. I will say the engine supercharged does have some pep in it. Although it can just about keep up with 99-04 Mustang GT, a 2005 should easily kill it. The Monte Carlo SS, Buick Regal GS, and Pontiac Grand Prix GTP are all using the equivalent motor with SC. All are about the same performance and all of them are about the same race, assuming no modifications of course. That supercharger is putting about 6psi of boost in the engine and I know some friends with GTP's that are pushing them up with pully changeouts and minor modifications and getting up higher to 300HP.

Stock, no question, 05 win. Modified, who knows. It his kind of squirrely to launch the FWD as well (tends to pull to the right on our car mildly on hard launches), even with the stock SC'ed engine. So 300HP or so should be even worse...

Dutch said:
SS is heavier, and I'm sure an '05 V6 could beat the 240 HP version in real life. Have you ever tried to launch a FWD car? Not an easy task, I assure you, even with the ground-pounding 200 lb/ft of torque in my wife's station wagon.

MSN Carpoint says the '04 Monte with blower runs the 1/4 in 15.15 at 95.6, so it should be a dead heat. But, with a typical driver trying to launch 280 lb/ft on a FWD car...the Mustang would win.

I used to own a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP sedan. It had the exact same motor as in the 04 MC SS SC. The MC is lighter than the GTP and has 3.29's compared to the GTP's 2.93. So yes I do know how to drive one of those cars.

I have also rode in and drove a friend's 05 Windveil Blue V6 auto. Having done so and the fact that I had a GTP, from what I felt from both cars. The V6 mustang will not run with a GTP, let alone the MC SS SC.

Don't magazine number race me. Any 05 V6's running mid 14's bone stock? I don't know of any, I do know of bone stock MC SS SC running those times. Check the Monte Carlo and Grand Prix boards, you are going to find a lot of MC SS SC's running 14.5 - 14.8's, a lot. I don't know of a single 05 V6 running a 14 yet.

There is no doubt that a MC SS SC with a driver knowing how to drive it will take an 05 V6 without much of a problem.

Coming home from East Hampton early today I had a Freaking SS cut me off with my 2003 GT.going over the GW Bridge.I got to my right lane and called the 2 Idiots *******s.I was in 3rd gear and just blew them away.Car does not look or act fast.johnny