Raced The Car Tonight...Results Inside!

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
<marquee> PINEWOOD DERBY!!!!</marquee>

Some of you Remember my daughters' Sponge Bob and Barbie Cars!!

Well,

The Barbie Car's age group raced tonight (AWANA's)!

She Got 3rd in Speed and 2nd in Design, out of 40 cars!!! (1, 2, and 3 were large trophies, 4, 5, 6 were small ones...She was the only one there to get TWO LARGE TROHPIES!)

What was :( about the speed is that she raced for FIRST PLACE in the FIRST round, and lost by a nose..Then the car got recycled back in the pool for 2nd place. SHe got to the final round for second place, and lost so closely, that only the electronic eye saw that the other car one.

THEN, she went back in the group, and got 3rd easily. Since she made it to the end each round, she actually raced the car more than anyone. She blew away every car except the 2 she lost to.
Here are some pics....OH, TO MAKE THIS TECH-RELATED, I HAD TO MAKE SOME BOLT ADJUSTMENTS IN THE MIDDLE, BECAUSE BARBIE's HEAD CAME LOOSE :rolleyes:

Here is a sign I made for her:
832384Kristen.jpg

There she is on the left..The girl on the right got first in speed..the car was EXACTLY 5 oz (the max allowed weight)
832386Kristen-Group.jpg

Here is her car with her 2 trophies and ribbon.
832388Kristen-Trophies.jpg

SHE was REALLY EXCITED (unlike some other kids) I was so proud, I wanted to
841978CryBaby.gif

ENJOY
RC

• Sponsors (?)

Good job on the races. At least you got to have a car that placed a rank in something once in your life :D I had a CO2 car back in 8th grade... my brother actually cut it out for his 8th grade class, but never finished the final details on it... so I finished it and no other cars even came close to beating it. Then word got out that it was my brothers and I got an F for that part of the class and first place taken away from me! :mad: :lol:

What did the sponge bob car get?

CONGRATS to her. its ALWAYS fun to come home with somthing shiny. :)

i remember when our church didnt have the electric eye thing. WOW talk about an argument starter. the fathers would fight about it all night. i was like dude, we dont need bloody noses over some pinewood car thing. needless to say we put the eye thing in the budget later.

btw - my most tragic pinewood story. i had built a 32 ford roadster. it was one of my first cars. i had the front of the car cut narrow and had the wheels on a straight axle actually. in the first run i made, the right wheel cracked right off when it hit that foam wall. my brother had to run to walgreens and get some super glue quick before the design judgin. the wheel dried a little crooked and it wouldnt finish any of the flollowing races. i did however get first place show. (maybe 12 or 13 of us) and thats always fun.

and for me to make it technical. hmmm. the car my bro drove to walgreens was a plum crazy 197? plymouth belvedere II. 440 big block (the high flow heads were actually stole off of a shop class model engine that then recieved his crappy heads that were painted to match so no one knew) 312 duration cam. 4000 stall and 4.10 gear. blah blah blah not ford but oh well

VibrantRedGT said:
So basically what your saying is YOU won two trophies and a ribbon.
Yeah, but she thinks SHE won, and Ill never tell! :p
Besides, she jumped up and down EVERYTIME she won...the other kids sat there like bumps on a log :nonono: She had a blast.

Zach...Sponge Bob is next week...Ill post then.
Thanks guys!
RC

You need to weigh all four wheels at the same time (like a real car) and add weight at the appropriate place to get the friction divided over the wheels as evanly as possible. Add some of that special non-stick formula Clark W. Grizzwold used on his sled and its a sure winner.

A slight tail wind wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Ah the ol' pinewood derby. I remember doing that for boy scouts. That was one of the few things my dad and I actually did together as a kid besides hunting. I'm glad ppl are still doing it. It's a fun little hobby/competition thing. Congrats to you and ur daughter. Graphite on the wheel axles helps a lot....

Big Jay said:
You need to weigh all four wheels at the same time (like a real car) and add weight at the appropriate place to get the friction divided over the wheels as evanly as possible. Add some of that special non-stick formula Clark W. Grizzwold used on his sled and its a sure winner.
A slight tail wind wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Right now, the cars are turned in and they can NOT be touched.

I used the "3-wheel" method. The one front right wheel is raised higher and NEVER touches the track..that is what is recommended on the web sites.

I polished the axles and used graphite powder. I rolled the cars across the floor to check for alignment, and they both rolled fairly straight. I mis-weighed Barbie, and I think it was only 4.6 oz.

I know for sure that Sponge Bob is 5.0 oz, but the age group that this car is in is more competitive. Also, I Sponge Bob has a couple of weights that were glued last minute on the bottom, and Im not sure how well they will hold up.

Ill let you all know. I know how crazy you guys are about Sponge Bob
RC

Black Stampede said:
I'll fourth that....honestly RC, why havent you been to the track? It's gettting a little sad when you have a car like yours and dont at least run it once.
What makes all you guys think that I havent run it yet???
Hmm??
Hmm??

My daughter was so excited today, she had to bring her TWO trophies to show them off.. As far as she's concerned..it's HER car, and I had NOTHING to do with it.
RC

94GTLaserRC said:
What makes all you guys think that I havent run it yet???
Hmm??
Hmm??

My daughter was so excited today, she had to bring her TWO trophies to show them off.. As far as she's concerned..it's HER car, and I had NOTHING to do with it.
RC
Quit changing the subject and just tell us the times if you've raced or not. If you didnt then get to the track :mad: If I had a car like yours I'd be at the track at least 1 to 2 times a month.