Suspension Rack and Pinion Teflon seal /o-ring

ursixx

5 Year Member
Jun 22, 2017
Sweden
So when you have a Mustang GT in Sweden parts are always a challenge. I had to change my rack&pinion because of losing the assist during right turns ,I had changed the pump and hoses to try and solve the problem .
Anyways teflon.. the seal / o-ring is not pretty. I bought a used r&p from a yard that specializes in American cars ,the car it was pulled from had low miles .
So has anyone here done something else instead of the teflon o-ring? I was thinking teflon tape with the remnants of the o-ring.
I know I can get 1 from Rock-auto but it wouldn't get here until the middle of January and I need to get another car in the garage .

Edit: Well O'Reilly and USP to the rescue ,I guess she'll be on jack stands till next year.
Happy New Years!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Well an update, the parts from my sister came in the middle of February with USPS. Ordered from Rockauto middle of January and got them before my sister's arrived.
All put together and no leaks!

Reactions: 2 users
Well an update, the parts from my sister came in the middle of February with USPS. Ordered from Rockauto middle of January and got them before my sister's arrived.
All put together and no leaks!
Definitely better to have the right part. When we are installing the new set of tires from 4Wheelonline, we noticed a leak at the rack and pinion;. The previous owner put a cheapo seal.

Did you have the right tool to put the seals on or did you use the punch method? When I replaced my rack years ago, I just bought the brass flare tools for both line sizes in case I ever have to do it again - they weren't that expensive from NAPA - but I can see that in your situation these probably aren't readily available. Even with those tools, I soaked the seals in hot water for an hour before stretching them over the threads, and gave them a day to shrink back down all of the way before I tightened the fittings. No leaks. The tools aren't necessary if you're really careful pushing the seal over threads and you get them well expanded on a punch first. From what I recall, I trashed a set of seals on my first attempt because they weren't hot / stretchy enough when I slid them over the threads without the expander tool. This isn't a hard job, but it is a huge pain until you've done it once and come up with a good process. I hope all is well!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user