rad 4 into a 69 302 ?

Project abandoned - this tranny would be too weak - but now I need to consider a what four or five speed I can afford ?

I am upgrading my 65 Mustang coupe - I have a 271 build 1969 302 - a friend has a rad 4 he said I could have. Would that be do-able - what bell housing , clutch and such would I need ? This will be my first job of this type -

I want to keep it affordable and street worthy - what do you guys/gals think ?

Thanks

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

A friend of mine had it from a Mustang 11 - we thought maybe it would work. Found out it wont - Thanks

A mustang II you mean? Why wouldn't it work? Some MIIs came with a v8 and a 4 speed and they worked just fine. The correct name for this transmission is the SR4...it later evolved into the T5. Out of the T4, SR4, and T5 the SR4 is the weakest...but that does not mean it can't handle reasonable power levels. I would not hesitate to run a SR4 if the final power output is less than 300HP

Go For It! That is how they found out they needed a stronger trans. Those old 140's (2.3) only had about 80 horses. I scattered one toploader with my 69 boss 302. I go a little easier on it now They were made for about 300-350 ft. lbs. of torque is all Tremtec made the toploader for Ford and they still make nascar transmissions based on the original design. ZF 6 speed in my 1990 Corvette is a nice transmission to drive