• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Radiator and water pump - Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter allcarfan
  • Start date Start date Nov 10, 2004
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

WORTH

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 18, 2002
2,166
44
98
Cape Cod, Ma.
Nov 11, 2004
#21
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #21
allcarfan said:
I think the best way to do this is to get an early style cover, early style pump, and the extra long radiator hose and run it along the bottom of the front support. At least then, I KNOW it will be right. Im sure I can tuck it away...or even fab a piece of polished stainless steel to go over it.

I wonder if I can get a radiator shop to braze on a 90 degree angle lower intlet/outlet rather than the 180 degree one. Then, I wouldnt have to have such a severe bend in the radiator hose.

Opinions?


Oh...WORTH...if you have an early style cover from the 60s...Id like to take it off your hands. We could easily work a trade for the other stuff im doing for you. Shoot me a PM if you have one.
Click to expand...

I've probubly got one, but I'll need to know what you need. You've got about 1000 suggestions here, so what are you after? Actually give me a few minutes, let me see what I have here, I may have the whole setup for either side. BRB.
 

WORTH

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 18, 2002
2,166
44
98
Cape Cod, Ma.
Nov 11, 2004
#22
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #22
OK, the only one I have that is totally complete and still on the engine is as follows;

WP inlet is on the left, so you can use a staggered rad
PS is high on the left
Alternator is on the right, it's the LArge alternator.
Timing marks are on the right, so you can use them.

it has an electronic distributor in it,with the 2 piece cap, so I'm guessing its late 70's early 80's.

other than that I just have a bunch of covers and brackets loose, so I'd have to have a picture or a good discription to figure out what you want.
 

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
2,458
1
56
North Atlanta
Nov 11, 2004
#23
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #23
Just looking for a 64-68 289/302 timing chain cover. I dont have a part number or any pics though, maybe D.Hearne does. Just the regular ol timing cover that I can bolt a standard 66 water pump to.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Nov 11, 2004
#24
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #24
I've got the pic of one, don't have the cover any longer though, sorry. I can email the pic. can't make out the casting # though.
 

WORTH

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 18, 2002
2,166
44
98
Cape Cod, Ma.
Nov 11, 2004
#25
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #25
D.Hearne said:
I've got the pic of one, don't have the cover any longer though, sorry. I can email the pic. can't make out the casting # though.
Click to expand...

UH OH, it appears my old brain has failed me, I lookd at the pic you showed me for the 67 and it doesn't use the water pump with the backing plate. Any Idea when they changed? All the covers I have found here take the backing plate pumps. I have one that is identical to the 67 but with the backing plate, the dipstick and the pointer are the same.
 

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
2,458
1
56
North Atlanta
Nov 11, 2004
#26
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #26
i figured it out....

I am going to use a 65-66 standard Timing Chain Cover (when I find one), use a standard water pump with the out let to the passenger side. Use a staggered aluminum radiator with the outlet on the lower drivers side area.

The exhaust shop here said they could bend a piece of 1.5" ID aluminum in the shape of an S. SO...the straight outlet on the drivers side would have a small piece of radiator hose attached to it. Then attached would be the S shape tube. It would slide into the other side of that small (3"?) or so piece of radiator hose, then a 90 degree turn toward the passemnger side, run the length of the radiator then a 90 degree turn toward the firewall RIGHT where the stock outlet is on the radiator. THEN, I will be able to use a STOCK radiator hose too!

I hope you all followed that. the ONLY piece I would need that isnt 'normal' for that engine is the S Bent piece of pipe.

Opinions?
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Nov 11, 2004
#27
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #27
allcarfan said:
i figured it out....

I am going to use a 65-66 standard Timing Chain Cover (when I find one), use a standard water pump with the out let to the passenger side. Use a staggered aluminum radiator with the outlet on the lower drivers side area.

The exhaust shop here said they could bend a piece of 1.5" ID aluminum in the shape of an S. SO...the straight outlet on the drivers side would have a small piece of radiator hose attached to it. Then attached would be the S shape tube. It would slide into the other side of that small (3"?) or so piece of radiator hose, then a 90 degree turn toward the passemnger side, run the length of the radiator then a 90 degree turn toward the firewall RIGHT where the stock outlet is on the radiator. THEN, I will be able to use a STOCK radiator hose too!

I hope you all followed that. the ONLY piece I would need that isnt 'normal' for that engine is the S Bent piece of pipe.

Opinions?
Click to expand...
Use stainless exhaust tubing instead of aluminum, it'll last longer.No worries about corrosion. Looks as good as aluminum too.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Nov 11, 2004
#28
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #28
WORTH said:
UH OH, it appears my old brain has failed me, I lookd at the pic you showed me for the 67 and it doesn't use the water pump with the backing plate. Any Idea when they changed? All the covers I have found here take the backing plate pumps. I have one that is identical to the 67 but with the backing plate, the dipstick and the pointer are the same.
Click to expand...
I'll have to look again, ( i still have the water pump for that one) but I think it did use a backing plate with that timing cover. Don't have the timing cover though, sold it to someone here on SN I believe. I know there were 2 different covers for the early small blocks, one was for a cast iron pump ( the Hi-po cover I think) and the other used an aluminum pump ( std 289's mostly) I believe all the mid to late 60's used the Hipo style cover and pump. The HP Ford interchange book is kind of vague on this with the covers, but apparently the pre 64's had the different cover. The cover needed for the iron pump is listed as a C4AZ-6019-B, but thats the part # not the casting #.
 

WORTH

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 18, 2002
2,166
44
98
Cape Cod, Ma.
Nov 11, 2004
#29
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #29
D.Hearne said:
I'll have to look again, ( i still have the water pump for that one) but I think it did use a backing plate with that timing cover. Don't have the timing cover though, sold it to someone here on SN I believe. I know there were 2 different covers for the early small blocks, one was for a cast iron pump ( the Hi-po cover I think) and the other used an aluminum pump ( std 289's mostly) I believe all the mid to late 60's used the Hipo style cover and pump. The HP Ford interchange book is kind of vague on this with the covers, but apparently the pre 64's had the different cover. The cover needed for the iron pump is listed as a C4AZ-6019-B, but thats the part # not the casting #.
Click to expand...

the one I have that uses the backing plate is casting # C50F-6059-A

YOur welcome to it if it is the one you need.
 

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
2,458
1
56
North Atlanta
Nov 11, 2004
#30
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #30
I dont know which one I need....can someone tell me?
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Nov 11, 2004
#31
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #31
I have 2 pumps for that style cover, one's an aftermarket HV pump and the other is a std volume with a C8OE casting #. Both use backing covers.
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Nov 11, 2004
#32
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #32
Worth, try emailing allcarfan those pics I sent you. Or he can send me an email or his email address and i'll send him the pic of the one from the 67 Stang I had.
 

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
2,458
1
56
North Atlanta
Nov 11, 2004
#33
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #33
Hearne....

if that TCC is from a 65-66 car and the HV water pump will bolt to it....and the outlet on the pump points toward the passenger side...PM ME if you want to sell both.

Shane
 

WORTH

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 18, 2002
2,166
44
98
Cape Cod, Ma.
Nov 11, 2004
#34
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #34
allcarfan said:
Hearne....

if that TCC is from a 65-66 car and the HV water pump will bolt to it....and the outlet on the pump points toward the passenger side...PM ME if you want to sell both.

Shane
Click to expand...

I'll bring the digital to the shop in the AM and snap a shot of the one I think you need. I had it stashed with all my 65-66 stuff, so it should be correct.
 

66P51GT

New Member
Nov 7, 2003
721
1
0
Cerritos, CA
Nov 12, 2004
#35
  • Nov 12, 2004
  • #35
allcarfan,

The shiny TCC below is a standard 66 timing cover. It is for use with a water pump with a backing plate. The one on the right (for comparison) is from a '90 roller block.



 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Nov 12, 2004
#36
  • Nov 12, 2004
  • #36
That one you say is for a 66 is different than the one I had pulled from the 67 Stang I had. Your's looks more like a 70-up cover. What's the casting # on that one? Can't make it out.
 

Great68

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
691
0
16
Victoria BC
Nov 12, 2004
#37
  • Nov 12, 2004
  • #37
I have a Griffin Direct Fit rad, but they sold me the wrong model where the Outlets were staggered instead of on the same side. I had NO time to wait for the proper one to come in stock, so I went with it. I used a Flex rad hose from NAPA for the lower hose, and suprisingly it fit just fine, it's free from hitting anything and works allright. The only downside is that those flex hoses are pretty expensive.
 

66P51GT

New Member
Nov 7, 2003
721
1
0
Cerritos, CA
Nov 12, 2004
#38
  • Nov 12, 2004
  • #38
D.Hearne said:
That one you say is for a 66 is different than the one I had pulled from the 67 Stang I had. Your's looks more like a 70-up cover. What's the casting # on that one? Can't make it out.
Click to expand...
I'll have to check when I get home. I would like to see a picture of your timing cover for comparison.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Idler pulley as substitute for Power Steering Pump ?
  • Bhenders
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
5
Views
252
Other Auto Tech Jul 16, 2026
LILCBRA
2
Resolved Electrical mayhem
  • 2000ElectricGreen
  • Mar 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
376
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2026
2000ElectricGreen
2
B
water pump installation questions
  • B0udreaux
  • Feb 5, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
38
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 28, 2026
General karthief
C
Vortech water pump and tensioner pulley issue
  • Crooner88
  • Feb 26, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
28
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 13, 2025
revhead347
0
V6 to V8 Swap info
  • 02_2v_Curtis
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
878
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jan 11, 2026
02_2v_Curtis
0
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?