Engine Radiator Fan Always Running?

FoxbodyJ

Feb 10, 2018
Hey guys, I drive a 92 LX and I can't figure out why the radiator fan is always running at full speed. I searched the forums and installed a new fan clutch because I thought it might be seized but that didn't fix anything. Not sure where to go from here. I guess my question now is how does the engine know when to engage the fan? Could it be an electric issue? Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Mechanical fan? That is supposed to run all the time. The fan clutch just acts as means of some slight slip as the engine changes RPM. How much slip is controlled by s thermal band inside.

Mechanical fan? That is supposed to run all the time. The fan clutch just acts as means of some slight slip as the engine changes RPM. How much slip is controlled by s thermal band inside.

Yup, it was the stock mechanical fan. The reason I think there's an issue is because when I rev the engine at idle the fan spins faster with the engine. Sounds like a jet everytime I hit the gas. The thermal band is in the actual clutch itself?

THats typical. It should stop as soon as you let go, but still able to turn by hand.

But you still get the big WHOOSH when you get on it? Do you still have the stock white/yellow plastic fan on?

THats typical. It should stop as soon as you let go, but still able to turn by hand.

But you still get the big WHOOSH when you get on it? Do you still have the stock white/yellow plastic fan on?

Yeah sounds like a jet at high RPMs. Still have the original fan. Noticed some cracks on it when I changed the clutch but didn't think it was worth getting a new one

Update: Went in this morning and did some deep cleaning all around the front of the engine and after installing it again it runs fine. Must have been all the gunk and grease causing it so seize. Thanks for all the help guys!