Engine Radiator height

dstewart291

Sep 10, 2019
streetsboro
so, i need to swap out radiators, mine failed. I was told to make sure it sits above the engine or there will be over heating issues, is there truth to this and anything else i need to make sure of upon installing the new one? obviously the process is pretty simple but the little details like that i was not aware of.

Also, anyone have an outlet for the bushings that support the radiator on the bottom? (if they are not attached to the new one ( i apologize for the ignorance last radiator i did was an 87 Z28 when i was 17 lol)

• Sponsors (?)

so, i need to swap out radiators, mine failed. I was told to make sure it sits above the engine or there will be over heating issues, is there truth to this and anything else i need to make sure of upon installing the new one? obviously the process is pretty simple but the little details like that i was not aware of.

Also, anyone have an outlet for the bushings that support the radiator on the bottom? (if they are not attached to the new one ( i apologize for the ignorance last radiator i did was an 87 Z28 when i was 17 lol)

Wow never heard of that one before but to answer your question no that is not true regarding these cars.

Wow never heard of that one before but to answer your question no that is not true regarding these cars.

ah insulator i have been looking for bushings words change things.. hmm alright. she seemed pretty confident in her advice but only thing i could think of is the gt has the no air flow upper grill but still wouldn't make much sense to me or why an inch or 2 would cause overheating but i am no engineer.

ah insulator i have been looking for bushings words change things.. hmm alright. she seemed pretty confident in her advice but only thing i could think of is the gt has the no air flow upper grill but still wouldn't make much sense to me or why an inch or 2 would cause overheating but i am no engineer.
If the radiator fits, that's all that matters. I have the LMR/SVE one.

BTW, my GT has a user modified "upper grille". You can see it here. Good place for the DRL's.
img_0751-jpg.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I believe you’re looking for the isolators. I think lmr carries replacements, if not you can get universal style ones that fit.

The lmr and americanmuscle radiators work great for the price. I’d recommend either one. It’s nice to have the radiator cap be the highest point of the cooling system, aids in letting air bubbles out. Any direct fit radiator will come like this. No need to overthink it

• Agree
well i got the new one in, new bushings on the bottom or whatever you would like to call them. I could not adjust it enough for the fan blade to not hit the bottom of the shroud the radiator had half an inch difference aftermarket vs oem. Not sure what the issue was used old clips i ended up shaving a little of the shroud for the fan to clear, runs and idles and stays at temperature well so far.

well i got the new one in, new bushings on the bottom or whatever you would like to call them. I could not adjust it enough for the fan blade to not hit the bottom of the shroud the radiator had half an inch difference aftermarket vs oem. Not sure what the issue was used old clips i ended up shaving a little of the shroud for the fan to clear, runs and idles and stays at temperature well so far.
How many miles are on your car? Your stock motor mounts are probably sacked.

How many miles are on your car? Your stock motor mounts are probably sacked.
155k (ish) not a lot of vibration in the car just a little but those will be a upcoming project just out of my own personal paranoia. but the aftermarket one did have a half inch size difference which was the issue. the higher than engine thing was just the previous owner telling me but didnt make sense since the new one would be on the same mount and all as what came out so idk

He asked about the motor mounts because if they are warn enough it could be your clearance issue and given the age and mileage of these cars I'd say it is a safe bet the stock rubber mounts are cracked. You'll want to replace them with a factory replacement but I don't think there are any good ones available at the moment. If you go the poly mount route which is what I would do, go with energy suspension brand because they are stock height and won't lift your motor up and cause interference with your factory hood.

He asked about the motor mounts because if they are warn enough it could be your clearance issue and given the age and mileage of these cars I'd say it is a safe bet the stock rubber mounts are cracked. You'll want to replace them with a factory replacement but I don't think there are any good ones available at the moment. If you go the poly mount route which is what I would do, go with energy suspension brand because they are stock height and won't lift your motor up and cause interference with your factory hood.
good to know, thank you for the info. i plan to do them, the hood is aftermarket which is not a concern but i will keep the material choice in mind thank you

good to know, thank you for the info. i plan to do them, the hood is aftermarket which is not a concern but i will keep the material choice in mind thank you
yeah do your research on the stock rubber mounts.. I've seen where many people complained the quality of the mounts from a certain company which I do not remember off hand supplies most places like rock auto suck. I've always just upgraded my cars to poly because they are so much stronger and you don't really don't get any vib increase like you would with solid mounts.