radiator is leaking, recommendations on new one.

fox-gt

Feb 28, 2004
TN
I got back from lunch and I smelt anti-freeze when I got out of the car. I open the hood and see anti-freeze on the front of the radiator. I have priced a new radiator from autozone, advance auto, 50resto, texas mustang, etc. Most are 2 row around $100. Are these any good? This car is my daily driver. My current budget keeps me in the $150 range.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

If your car is stock and you plan to keep it that way there is no reason you can't just go with a stock replacement from one of the companies you listed. I put an Autozone radiator in a Grand Marquis 5 years ago and it is still going strong.

If the dimensions, number of rows and fins/inch are comparable, the only advantage of aluminum over copper is weight. The copper actually transfers a little more heat than aluminum if all else is equal. The guys have given you lots of options here - take your pick. I'd buy the $100 Autozone, and spend your extra $50 and go ahead and replace all the hoses, clamps, and the water pump/t'stat if they haven't been recently replaced.

Michael Yount said:
If the dimensions, number of rows and fins/inch are comparable, the only advantage of aluminum over copper is weight. The copper actually transfers a little more heat than aluminum if all else is equal. The guys have given you lots of options here - take your pick. I'd buy the $100 Autozone, and spend your extra $50 and go ahead and replace all the hoses, clamps, and the water pump/t'stat if they haven't been recently replaced.

Always thinking outside the box, aren't you?

Michael Yount said:

I agree here. No need for fancy expensive radiators -- spend it on the other neglected things that often cause problems.