Electrical Radio capacitor

Scott7512

May 19, 2015
Branchland WV
E9TZ-18832-A Radio capacitor
What is this and where would it mount?
My 93 has an odd radio reception problem. I can pick up stations pretty good until I turn the key to the run position then I can barely get any.
Radio is aftermarket, one wire alternator, msd ignition box and Accel coil.
I have checked the grounds and they are good.
I also put a job site in the car and it’s reception also dies when key is in run. It’s like there is a force field around the car.

• Sponsors (?)

You put the radio noise condensers in the points, right side of the coil and on the generator, but that’s on pre computer cars.
:thinking:
So, does radio reception drop off cleanly, or do you loose it to electrical noise? A ground loop will be more of a steady hum, while the alternator or ignition will vary with engine speed.

Drops off cleanly. No home or buzz. Just can’t pull in stations.
Even a boom box loses stations when placed inside the car with the key in run position. Engine not running. Just the key on.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
That’s a harder problem. The Accessory ignition key position will help rule out ignition EMF. I assume the accessory position is when you get the stations. The noon box and Job Site (wireless hot spot cellular thing???) would be easier as a red herring. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the antenna hook up and ground. Something else using it as the ground could help explain stations dropping off. It will not explain interference in other items. The MSD box and accel coil might. Can you unplug the box and see how reception is?
Also, does the radio play CD’s or AUX input work when the car is in the run position?

As was said above, unplug the ignition box and turn the key to the run position. Then report back.
There are only a few things that are on in run that are not in the Aux keep position. Another is often your fan motor. But that’s easy to switch on and off, and would usually make electrical noise.