Rallye inspired Mustang II

extra_stout

5 Year Member
Aug 27, 2018
Germany
As you know I live in Germany and over here in Europe there is the legend of legend race events the rallye monte carlo.
Its interesting that Ford V8 cars are connected well to this event. In the 60ties total performance era Ford started in 63 with one 63 Falcon to get experience:
1676225329105.jpeg

With that experience they build up two 64 Falcons for the rally in 1964 (here a picture of a clone):
jpr_254.jpg

They where successful in that year with a 3rd place.
Also a lot of Mustangs where back than rallying in USA, Europa and Mexico.
Here are some pictures:
10_b7d65076db5b3db40b1afb9c37e3ccdb.jpg

jpr_294.jpg

5ec9677681e89807489341cb941aaf15.png

blogger-image--837637165.jpg

1d89bf8ec8c58d798212599a56184b1e.jpg

6a75a5c00a635b82327a157e902a735c.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I have ordered new springs (450 lbs/inch) and then the car will sit higher at the front. I also have lowering blocks in the back, because it was sitting to high, which are remove with less effort...
This all started some thoughts:
I can keep the front height by cutting the new front springs (which is not the issue), but why not keeping it a bit up high and start to mod it for historic rallye events (usually regularity test, but still a lot of fun).
Also the car is not the nicest regarding paint...
  • new springs in stock length and removal of the lowering blocks
  • taller tires, other rims 15x7 (needs TÜV -> both speedometer gears (driven+driving) -> transmission removal)
  • than it needs also a shorter rear end ratio + torsen differential
  • addition headlights in the grill (needs to be there because of TÜV, but it also looks cool to me)
  • skid plate (3mm alu plate from radiator support to crossmember) + stiffening of lower radiator support (ideas? experience?)
  • chassis stiffening (torque boxes, chassis stiffener in engine bay (t-top brace)... ideas?)
  • roll cage? (not needed, if regularity test. but its safer) ideas/thoughts?
  • hydraulic clutch: splash guard + steel braided lines
  • steel braided brake lines
  • brake system upgrade on the front -> 5 lug swap
  • styling... hiding the ugly paint spots... (e.g. mat black hood)
  • ... thoughts
  • ... ideas
Grey could be optional in the beginning, even it could look ugly with that tires sitting higher. It is interesting that on the original tire size there are good tires for mixed street/gravel. Luckily I still have the 13 steel wheels...

Reactions: 1 users
As for headights in the grill, do you mean like this:

mustang-104-jpg.46488

or placing them in place of the marker lights/turn signals, similar to this:

1676229044359.jpeg
(I'm not a fan of the material that was used for the grill, but couldn't find anything that matched what I was envisioning... :shrug: )

As for some of the other questions you've raised, I think that reinforcing the lower radiator support wouldn't be hard at all using tube material. That would also help with mounting a skid plate in the front compared to the flimsy sheet metal that's currently there. Also, depending on how everything works out with the skid plate, you might be able to incorporate a splash guard for the clutch.

As for a T-Top brace - all they are is a couple brackets mounted to the fender aprons, then tubing that's flattened and bolted to the firewall pinch weld - that shouldn't be too hard to fabricate with the right tools. The addition of a roll cage would always be a good idea for a racer - and you'd have the added benefit of added structural rigidity. Of course, subframe connectors as well - I think we can almost assume that's in the plan. ;)

What rear gear did you have in mind? The 2.89 gear you have is a pretty tall gear.... Of course, tire size always plays a part with that as well. Since I have a T5 with 25.4 inch tires and 3.55 gears, I'd suggest something similar to what I have, I believe it's a good all around gear and speedometer gears are readily available to correct the speedometer. And since you're looking to keep the car a little taller than mine, I don't think you'd have many clearance issues, especially on the rear. The front might be a different story? But 215/60/15 might work on all 4 corners with the right offsets? I might be wrong on the front, so I'd suggest looking through the wheel/tires sticky before spening a bunch of money in that regard, as well as taking a LOT of measurements.... :cheers:

lights like in the first picture. But between the horse emblem and the turn signal lights. They should fit.

Regarding chassis stiffening:
- your right I would make something on the lower radiator to mount the skid pad and prevent damage on the radiator. The original sheet metal is very thin at that point.
- subframe connectors are already installed
;)

- roll cage (4 point) is since some years necessary, so no question about that

Rear gearing:
I have a 2.89 installed. With your tire size that would be a 3.15. Works good with my "low torque"-G40p7/stock-explorer-cam-engine...
The historic rallyes i'm looking for take place parallel to "normal" rallyes. This means they are mainly on asphalt. Even with 10-20% gravel most drive semi slicks (seems stiff side walls - beside rough profile - are key on gravel)... So I don't think there is a need for different tires/wheels in the beginning. I'm more concerned about ride height. But if I have the skid plate and start with the new springs and removed lowering blocks, I could just use what I already have.
215/60/15 or 225/60/15 would be the tire size I would look for. But as I said, that would be a bigger package for later together with brakes / 5lug swap and braided steel brake lines.

So highest cost to get started are the roll cage and safety equipment and stop watch / tripmaster... :thinking:

Reactions: 1 users
Heck yeah, just do it.
Put Stang net on the side and we’ll all pitch in a dollar for beer, I mean entry fees.

• Haha
Will not drive in the snow. Rallye monte carlo ist not possible with a Mustang II, because only cars that where participated back than, are allowed on the current historic event. And it's expensive... I was 2016 co-driver with that 64 Falcon clone in the first post. Done that, was very funny, but you need time and a lot of money. Such an event costs what I spend on my whole Mustang II with all rebuild/modification cost.
Started to talk with a friend that was driving an BMW E36 on rallye. He drove this type of rallye, where the historic event is in parallel. It is affordable. Also found some rules for ground clearance (100mm all around) for a more severe typ of rallye, which give me an idea if this makes sence with my car.
The BMW E36 had a KW performance suspension for rallye and was stock height. He was okay with ground clearance at the events.
Sadly my friend sold the E36. But I found in the interwebz that a stock E36 has 110mm ground clearance.
And he used also 3mm alu sheets, but on a steel frame...
So all good info for me. He also has the needed helmets and he asked where he can sign the co-drivers contract... :)
I also saw the info from @429MII that there is a specific Mustang II 4pt roll bar available. I also saw other manufactureres, which seems to have the two rear mounting points on the trunk floor instead of the rear wheel wells. Unsure what I want with the interior/seats/seatbelts, but it is good that there are different options available.

Last edited: