ran car while overheated, loss of power now

HuebyStang94

Aug 25, 2004
STL
Hey all,

I've developed a bad coolant leak. It happened quickly one night while driving, and the car ran for several minutes at 240-250+ F coolant temp according to my autometer temp gauge.

Nothing happened... the car still runs, BUT after this occurance I have noticed considerable loss of power. I'm sure this is not just a coincidence of something else going wrong.

What kind of damage could of happened with running the car at that hot of a temperature for an extended period of time? Piston ring damage? Damage to the alum. heads, etc??? How do I diagnosis this ... compression test, etc.?

• Sponsors (?)

OUCH! lets hope your aluminum head did not warp (thats what it sounds like) and that would be where your coolant is leaking. And that would result in a loss of power. I would NOT drive it. Driving with coolant in your oil can ruin your engine

could be a warped head, or maybe just a burnt head gasket and maybe loss off compression from burning your rings, might wanna check your cylinders for any scratches or guages too

250F is pretty hot, but it shouldn't do any permanent damage.

I over heated my 302 until it stalled once. Went to try starting it the next morning and it ran fine.
Got another 20k+ miles out of it...

Pull your codes, you may have just damaged a sensor or something.

jason