• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Random suspension questions (different than other thread)

  • Thread starter Thread starter SadbutTrue
  • Start date Start date Mar 5, 2008

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
2,391
4
49
Thousand Oaks, California
Mar 5, 2008
#1
  • Mar 5, 2008
  • #1
Since these questions don't directly concern the parts included in most front end suspension rebuilds, and my thread was long enough already, I decided to make it separate so that each question got some attention.

First, I am wondering if my springs are sagging, primarily so i have a feel for where it'll be with new coils. I saw Marlon from Fly Fords in Chatsworth a few weeks ago and he was surprised my stock springs (stock height/spring rate) were so low, even taking into consideration I have done the Shelby drop and have a 351w. The springs are about 10 years old (though they only have maybe 10k miles on them, still getting up there I guess). See pic below. Note that I have larger tires in the rear… 225 60r15 vs. 225 50r15 (had to switch to 50s in front because of rubbing)... also the street is slightly inclined up towards the front of the car.

Second, I wanted to know if any of my other components will need upgrading/changing if I upgrade the rest of my suspension (either by getting drop coils/poly bushings or by going all out with new control arms, roller perches, etc). Marlon said my tie rod ends, specifically, ‘weren’t up to the task’ and that he’d want to replace them. Not sure what he meant by that (he didn’t say they were bad necessarily), so I don’t know if I should expect to get high performance tie rod ends (if they exist…) or if he was trying to sell me a set of them or what. Anyway, will any of those ‘other parts’, the ones not usually mentioned in suspension upgrade threads, such as idler arms, tie rods, etc need upgrading?

Third, I am considering chucking my power steering while I’m in there. Can I just pull it off, chuck the pulley and go? Or do other parts need replacing? Do the conversion kits from places like NPD have everything I need and work well?

:

I think that’s it.

Enough topic starting for today… sorry for the
 

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
2,391
4
49
Thousand Oaks, California
Mar 5, 2008
#2
  • Mar 5, 2008
  • #2
http://picsorban.com/upload/100_1223.jpg

pic was too huge... just look at the link i guess
 

CraigMBA

New Member
Mar 24, 2007
783
1
0
Orange, CA
Mar 5, 2008
#3
  • Mar 5, 2008
  • #3
I'd be inclined to get the thicker poly spring insulators and switch to the roller bearing perches.

Unless your power steering is a total wreck, I'd not be inclined to get rid of it. I have no idea what "up to the task means" but you can check your tie rods for play by yourself.

I'm not in love with Marlon, FWIW. After he did that article in Car Craft, I called him and he said "yeah, well, that won't work in the real world outside of a magazine you know?" and then proceeded to try to sell me $1250 in his front end parts over the phone. I fixed my shock towers with a portapower and a mig welder myself and saved the trip.
 

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
2,391
4
49
Thousand Oaks, California
Mar 6, 2008
#4
  • Mar 6, 2008
  • #4
CraigMBA said:
I'd be inclined to get the thicker poly spring insulators and switch to the roller bearing perches.

Unless your power steering is a total wreck, I'd not be inclined to get rid of it. I have no idea what "up to the task means" but you can check your tie rods for play by yourself.

I'm not in love with Marlon, FWIW. After he did that article in Car Craft, I called him and he said "yeah, well, that won't work in the real world outside of a magazine you know?" and then proceeded to try to sell me $1250 in his front end parts over the phone. I fixed my shock towers with a portapower and a mig welder myself and saved the trip.
Click to expand...


Yeah, he did essentially the same for me. My p/s stuff works fine, i guess i can get rid of that in a later project if i so desire.

Do you have a link to a good set of poly spring insulators?
 

CraigMBA

New Member
Mar 24, 2007
783
1
0
Orange, CA
Mar 6, 2008
#5
  • Mar 6, 2008
  • #5
Sure!

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1032&cat=2129&page=1

View attachment 327755
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Mar 7, 2008
#6
  • Mar 7, 2008
  • #6
Wouldn't those poly insulators raise the car overall ?
 

CraigMBA

New Member
Mar 24, 2007
783
1
0
Orange, CA
Mar 7, 2008
#7
  • Mar 7, 2008
  • #7
Isn't that the point? If you like the ride quality, but the height it wrong, this is your best solution.
 

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
2,391
4
49
Thousand Oaks, California
Mar 7, 2008
#8
  • Mar 7, 2008
  • #8
CraigMBA said:
Isn't that the point? If you like the ride quality, but the height it wrong, this is your best solution.
Click to expand...


How thick are they? If you got 620 1" drop springs, but thought you might not want a full inch drop would these leave you with half an inch drop or something?
 

CraigMBA

New Member
Mar 24, 2007
783
1
0
Orange, CA
Mar 8, 2008
#9
  • Mar 8, 2008
  • #9
The link I sent you was for the 1" ones, but you can get 1/4" ones I saw when I went looking for the picture. You could also space up the spring perch by adding material between the perch and the control arm.......
 

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
2,391
4
49
Thousand Oaks, California
Mar 8, 2008
#10
  • Mar 8, 2008
  • #10
is the height of the insulator taken into account with the spring drop?

If i have a 1" drop spring and a 1/4" insulator, there will be a net 3/4" drop right? ANd no drop at all with the 1" insulator?

Are the insulators necessary (this is probably a dumb questions, but what the hell)?
 

dodgestang

Active Member
Dec 15, 2003
1,360
0
37
Cecil County, MD
Mar 8, 2008
#11
  • Mar 8, 2008
  • #11
What are the alignment specs you have the car set to?
 

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
2,391
4
49
Thousand Oaks, California
Mar 8, 2008
#12
  • Mar 8, 2008
  • #12
dodgestang said:
What are the alignment specs you have the car set to?
Click to expand...

Not sure. I had Marlon at Fly Ford align for the Shelby drop.
 

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
2,391
4
49
Thousand Oaks, California
Mar 10, 2008
#13
  • Mar 10, 2008
  • #13
anyone have any comments re: whether those front springs are sagging or not?

it would definitely help with my mental image of how the car will end up if I know whether its lower than it should be right now

here's the pic again, and those are supposed to be stock height springs up front (with 50 heigh tires in front as opposed to 60s in the back... this might account for some of the 'sagging')
 

Attachments

  • 100_1221a.webp
    60.2 KB · Views: 220
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Front Coil Overs and Rear Traditional Springs within a Maximum Motorsports K-Member Kit
  • Habu135
  • Sep 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
594
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2026
Habu135
Suspension Is somethig Wrong Here?
  • Icemanxxxv
  • Jul 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
180
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 11, 2026
AeroCoupe
N
Fox Street Suspension Build Advice
  • NYFox
  • Jan 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
376
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 28, 2026
Noobz347
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
180
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Progress Thread 91GTstroked 90 7 up convertible build
  • 91GTstroked
  • Apr 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
404
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 22, 2026
91GTstroked
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?