Rattle noise under braking

04GT

Oct 8, 2003
Southwest Ohio
Started hearing a weird noise recently from my brakes. Wondering what you guys think it could be.

When braking medium to hard from a speed of 30-50 mph, I hear a weird kind of rattle noise. If I brake softly, I don't hear it. They seem to be working fine, so the noise is just irritating.

Brakes have about 20K miles on them with plenty of material left on the pads. Car's got 99K on it.

• Sponsors (?)

I feel some vibration through the pedal when while it's rattling.

That rattling you hear then is probably the calipers moving side to side on their pins as the warped section of rotor moves through the pads. You might also want to verify the condition and pre-load of the wheel bearings: Any humming noise when turning left or right?

If it's just the rotors, I'd turn or replace them and deglaze (or simple replace) the brake pads.

I don't think it's the rotors because I've had that problem before. When I've had that problem in the past, there was no rattle...just pulsation thru the pedal at high speeds. I'm not have any problem at highway speeds (60-85 mph). It's happening at lower speeds. Cruising at 30-50 mph and then it's time to stop...medium to hard braking...that's when I hear this rattle that goes away when I'm stopped. It's gotta be something with the brakes, because it doesn't matter if I'm downshifting or coasting in neutral. But, I dunno. It's a weird noise that's hard to describe. Could it be something with the hydrolics? master cylinder?

I don't think it's the rotors because I've had that problem before. When I've had that problem in the past, there was no rattle...just pulsation thru the pedal at high speeds. I'm not have any problem at highway speeds (60-85 mph). It's happening at lower speeds. Cruising at 30-50 mph and then it's time to stop...medium to hard braking...that's when I hear this rattle that goes away when I'm stopped. It's gotta be something with the brakes, because it doesn't matter if I'm downshifting or coasting in neutral. But, I dunno. It's a weird noise that's hard to describe. Could it be something with the hydrolics? master cylinder?

If it was in the engine bay, it would have to be one loud rattle to be able to hear it. Is it easier to hear with the windows up or down?

I had the same thing you described when I replaced my pads and rotors with new Cobra rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I just kept driving on them, and the noise went away. It could be that the anti-rattle clips on the calipers aren't seated correctly, or that there is a slight deformity in the rotor surface that was causing the pad to rattle. An "extended" break-in regimen solved the problem.

Crap, I guess I should take the pads out and check those clips aren't hitting the rotor. Too bad this problem didn't surface in the summer! It's gonna suck to work on my brakes when it's 29 degrees out!!!

My pads and rotors are aftermarket, too...powerslot rotors and raybestos ceramic pads.

Crap, I guess I should take the pads out and check those clips aren't hitting the rotor. Too bad this problem didn't surface in the summer! It's gonna suck to work on my brakes when it's 29 degrees out!!!

My pads and rotors are aftermarket, too...powerslot rotors and raybestos ceramic pads.

lol, if only it was 29 degrees here in chicago.

i had the same issue with my cobra calipers. i was missing one of the clips on the pad. the pad was chattering around in the caliper. annoying as hell.