Rattling coming from brakes!...need help.

must2j

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2001
Naples FL
I heard the normal brake squealing from applying the brakes to worn down pads so I went ahead and bought new pads and rotors. When I put the new stuff on the front brakes and went for a drive, I found that when I hit bumps, I heard a bad rattle. It was only when I was off the brakes. When I hit the brakes, while hitting a bump, there was no sound at all. Has anyone ever had this problem and what could be causing my pads to be moving? (every bolt is tight, everything seems together and were it should be.)

thanks

Jay

• Sponsors (?)

What year and model Mustang do you have?

There are 3 different front caliper and brake designs. Hard to know what the prob is without knowing what caliper you have

I had the same kind of issue, but it was the rears. On the pads, the anti-rattle clips were not on correctly and it was making the pads move. Don't know if it could affect the fronts the same way though.

ok i figured out that the little clip up in the top of the caliper was missing, that holds the pad from moving up and down. I thought it was just a cover for the hole that was in the caliper, so brake dust wouldnt come out.... or I just didn't really think it matter much. Ive had older mustangs with clips on the pads so i just figured that the bracket that the pads were in was enough... stupid me:rolleyes:
I found napa has the caliper hardware kit with them in it and im going to pick that up to fix this problem. 14 bux... duhhhh