Rattling noise... Alternator?

quiksilver9531

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2001
New Jersey
When i run my car theres this loud rattling noise not like something is loose or anything...and the noise comes on and off..its not constant..and it sounds like its coming from the alternator area...i was thinking about it and is it possible like the bearings or something is f'ed up in the alternator? Its a rebuilt alternator, the stock one went, this one isnt even a year old...but It defintaly sounds like its coming from the alternator or around that area...anything it could possibly be, what can i do to find this damn noise...its annoying me lol Thanks :D

• Sponsors (?)

somebody once told me about this nifty tool called the magic stick. just find any wooden stick(i use a broom handle) cup your hand around one end and put your ear to it and use it as a stethescope to listen around. worked great for me when my alt went bad. good luck

quiksilver9531 said:
do you guys think that thats most likely causing the noise or what else could be causing it in this area?

is your belt tensioner bottoming out? it sets right next to the alternator, sounds like alternator bearings!!

didn't see short belt or pullies in your signature, that's what mine was.

I took the belt off and i tried moving the alternator pulley up, down and side to side and it kinda moved and it seemed like it could be causing the noise but whats the thing underneath the alt. with the bigger pulley that one didnt move at all but when i spun it by hand it seemed like that could be causing the noise and also is the power steering pulley supposed to be able to back and forth a little bit cuz i was able to move that very slighty back and forth

quiksilver9531 said:
I took the belt off and i tried moving the alternator pulley up, down and side to side and it kinda moved and it seemed like it could be causing the noise but whats the thing underneath the alt. with the bigger pulley that one didnt move at all but when i spun it by hand it seemed like that could be causing the noise and also is the power steering pulley supposed to be able to back and forth a little bit cuz i was able to move that very slighty back and forth

That would be your smog pump and it very well could be causing noise. they go bad time to time... Mine just locked up one day on my GT... Bypass it..