Re: The crashed mustang in S Carolina

RogerC62

Founding Member
Feb 2, 2000
Dayton, Ohio
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by mikethebike
It was in the Greenville News on either Monday or Tuesday. I went to their web site and couldn't find it. it happened in either Pickens or Anderson Cty. The paper had a photo of the cars. You didn't want to be in the Mustang.

The web site is: greenvillenews.com

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Found the article:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...=2007709240319

That was no 15 mph impact. The driver's rear quarter seems to be completely crumpled - in this pic look at the trooper's legs - there should be a quarter panel there:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...arams=Itemnr=3

I thought it apropriate not to clog the heidts thread with this. It was definately not a low speed hit. Just speculating, but it looks like the taurus hit and went under the rear of the stang a little probably rupturing the tank. Hard to tell the condition of the stang before the accident. Looks like it could have been an older restoration or a detailed original. A former coworker had a 69 vert that was rear-ended by a dump truck as he sat at a light. It crunched the rear of the car but it didn't catch fire. He showed me the pictures and it was more square and higher on the rear but it compacted everything to the back seat.

• Sponsors (?)

The reason you can see the troopers legs is, the deck lid is pried up a bit.

I got hit square in the passenger door in my '67 'vert by a lady in a '86 S-10 Blazer at 45mph and my fuel tank split open, gas came out but no fire.

Scary stuff. That's the reason 3-point belts and a Fuel Safe fuel cell are non-negotiable features of every build I plan for someone. Every dollar spent on safety is worth more than every dollar spent on horsepower. After all, it's only fun when you're alive to have it.

What can we do to modify our existing fuel tanks to make them safer? An aluminum firewall behind the rear seat?

Someone offers a precut sheet metal piece that you install behind the rear seat. There are no warrenty claims for this piece but it has to help. Fuel cells cost about $1000.00
I considered installing the gas tank from a 123 chassis M-B (1970's era 240-D)with a right side filler. It mounts directly under the rear window like my 1973 Capri. Since it fills from the passenger side if you take one in the ass you have to crush the trunk all the way to the rear glass and forward to get to the gas tank. I think this coupled with the sheet metal devider would solve the problem for less money than the fuel cell and you could fill the tank without opening the trunk.

A steel trunk divider may have saved her life. It's one of the first things I put in mine along with 3 pt seatbelts, better seats and power dual master cylinder. The brighter tail lights I added to let people at night, who may not be not paying attention (drunks) see the car sooner.

Got my steel trunk divider here:

http://www.americanpony.com/store.mv?p=802007-09-198-199

1473.jpg

Installed:

DSC01712.jpg

Fuel cells cost about $1000.00
Oh yeah, sorry, I wasn't thinking. Not burning to death isn't worth $1000.

...less money than the fuel cell and you could fill the tank without opening the trunk.
You can fill a Fuel Safe cell (at least the ones I use & sell) the same way you fill the stock tank.

Here's an "after" pic -- zero leakage.

fuelsafe_crushed.jpg

Has anybody considered installing the trunk floor, and strap on, under car gas tank from the 71 - 73 Stangs into the earlier bodies? I am sure they could be adapted as it couldn't be any harder than doing rust repairs on floor pans etc. The car would still look fairly original to the casual observer and would be a whole lot safer.
David

i'll attest for the high speed crash, i have alot of experience with crashing tauruses- my car of choice for fwd demolition derbies. ill tell you a hit at 30mph will not do that much damage to a taurus front end it takes at least 5 arena shots to to squish the front tire.

Has anybody considered installing the trunk floor, and strap on, under car gas tank from the 71 - 73 Stangs into the earlier bodies? I am sure they could be adapted as it couldn't be any harder than doing rust repairs on floor pans etc. The car would still look fairly original to the casual observer and would be a whole lot safer.
David

tank armor is a better choice than that. IMHO
http://www.autoworksracing.com/gas_tank_armor.htm

fule cell is better

we also don't know for sure that the mustang's fuel tank was the actual culprit of the leaking fuel either. with as much damage as there is to the taurus it's very possible that there could have been a ruptured fuel line on the taurus and the driver may not have turned off the iginition after the wreck letting fuel spill onto the ground.

we also don't know for sure that the mustang's fuel tank was the actual culprit of the leaking fuel either. with as much damage as there is to the taurus it's very possible that there could have been a ruptured fuel line on the taurus and the driver may not have turned off the iginition after the wreck letting fuel spill onto the ground.

The inertia switch would have instantly deactivated the fuel pump upon impact. Odds are it was the Mustang's tank -- it's no secret that this can happen.

tank armor is a better choice than that. IMHO
http://www.autoworksracing.com/gas_tank_armor.htm

fule cell is better

While the tank armor certainly helps, it doesn't address one of the big issues. As you know, there's a section of hose that couples the filler neck to the tank. When you get rear ended hard, this assembly comes apart, and as the tank is smashed the fuel shoots out of the fill opening like a fire hose into the trunk of the car.

The Fuel Safe fuel cells have a big check valve under the fill port preventing this from happening. Fuel can go in but not out. The vent fitting has a valve like this as well.

Back in the 1990s all Fords had an impact sensor that turned off the electric fuel pump in case of an accident so it seems the Mustang may have been to blame. The trunk and tank for that matter may have been rotted out, maybe the filler tube was leaky, making everything sensitive to a hard impact. Just speculation without knowing the car and details. I have the steel trunk divider as well as the steel package shelf. Of course my 66 also has the larger 70 fuel tank, 22 gallons....

not all cars in teh 90's had the interia switch, not sure on the taurus though. i know my brothers buick and my wife's friend's jimmy don't have them and i have seen some Fords that didn't have them either.

EDIT: also just because a car has an inertia switch doesn't mean it will work every time either. i'm not saying that the mustang's tank wasn't the likely cause i'm just saying we don't know fore sure that it WAS the cause.

Oh yeah, sorry, I wasn't thinking. Not burning to death isn't worth $1000.

You can fill a Fuel Safe cell (at least the ones I use & sell) the same way you fill the stock tank.

Here's an "after" pic -- zero leakage.

fuelsafe_crushed.jpg

I haven't mearsured the M-B tank but if it would fit it would free-up a ton of space that is now the tank. You could build an aluminum box to replace the tank, use it for the spare tire, jack, tools etc. and then have a lagre box for luggage.
Plus a much safer car.

Someone offers a precut sheet metal piece that you install behind the rear seat. There are no warrenty claims for this piece but it has to help. Fuel cells cost about $1000.00
I considered installing the gas tank from a 123 chassis M-B (1970's era 240-D)with a right side filler. It mounts directly under the rear window like my 1973 Capri. Since it fills from the passenger side if you take one in the ass you have to crush the trunk all the way to the rear glass and forward to get to the gas tank. I think this coupled with the sheet metal devider would solve the problem for less money than the fuel cell and you could fill the tank without opening the trunk.

that just reminds me of the old ford and chevy pickups with the gas tank behind the seat....no thanks.

that just reminds me of the old ford and chevy pickups with the gas tank behind the seat....no thanks.

M-B put them there for a very good reason. Ford put them there on the Capri in the early 70's. Knew of one in Charleston that got hit hard enough to push the rear bumper within a few inches of the front of the trunk without spilling a drop of fuel. And the Holden (GTO) has its tank in the same place. Plus, with the filler on the passenger side should you run out of gas you wouldn't be standing directly behind or to the traffic side of the car.
I tried to find a way to put one under the rear seat in front of the axle but without spending a TON of money on custom fuel cells I couldn't do it.
But I am in agreement with you about the tank in the cab number! That took real genius.