? RE: track width w/ Wilwood disc brake conversion

CarFreakGT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 26, 2003
Louisville, KY
For my 68 coupe, I plan to do a front disc conversion in late fall/early winter. I plan to go w/ 15" or 16" wheels when I'm done. I'm checking all the different options for kits, etc.--been doing searches for a couple of days now.

I see a Wilwood kit that looks pretty nice, but it widens the front end ~1/2" per side. They also have a kit (that costs extra, of course) that does not widen the track width. From a functional and performance standpoint, how drastic is that extra 1/2-1" on the front? Is it simply a matter of backspacing on wheels? or is it going to bring a lot more issues into play?

The car will be a weekend cruiser w/ occasional hard driving, for the most part. Along w/ the brakes, the front end will be getting some TLC--I already have 620 springs and Edelbrock IAS shocks. More goodies as time and $$$ allow between now and then.

I'm just trying to consider all of my options, and appreciate any input. In the meantime, I'll keep searching! Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Bryan

• Sponsors (?)

street car not really significant

(IMO) Adds some scrub to an otherwise "scrubby" :D front end, but not enough to be an issue unless you are Ricky Racer.

If it were me, I'd "payz da man" and get the new kit, if only to be able to keep all options open.

Good luck,

Scott

Thanks for your thoughts, runt. Yeah, I'm kind of leaning that way if I get the Wilwood kit. Since it's a one-time purchase, I may as well save up just a little longer to get it. Who knows, one day I may decide that I do want to be Ricky Racer! :D

I have the original Wilwood's on one of the cars, and did have to go to the 15's with more backspacing. How much more are the "upgraded" Wilwoods. The closer you get to 1K, the more I'd think about the SSBC or Baer's; that way you're track ready if you ever decide to go that route.

1966conv said:
I have the original Wilwood's on one of the cars, and did have to go to the 15's with more backspacing. How much more are the "upgraded" Wilwoods. The closer you get to 1K, the more I'd think about the SSBC or Baer's; that way you're track ready if you ever decide to go that route.

They are in the 900-1100 range. That's one of my other considerations. Since the SSBC seems so complete and like such an easy install, I may go w/ it since they would be roughly the same price. I tried to check the Baer website, but it wasn't too user-friendly. I want to find out more about their kits, but it kind of turns me off a little that I may have trouble making sure I get the right thing, tech. assist., etc.

EDIT: the 900-1100 price is for the Wilwoods that do not increase track width. The others are ~650.

I have the Baer's on a 66 "street/track" coupe, They're an even more complete and easier to install than the SSBC's. Their Tech was great when I had a question.

Check out www.streetortrack.com for some of the better pricing on Baer's. I know Baer has had some increases in pricing, I don't know if SSBC has or not.