Ready to Sell

Not really just getting a little mad. Heres my problem. I have an 87 Gt that have just converted to mass air. I also installed Twisted Wedge Heads, Trick flow stage 1 cam, Track heat intake, Accufab 75mm Throttle body, C&L 76 mm mass air meter with truflow pipe calibrated for 24lb injectors, Ford motorsport 24lb injectors and the timing is set at 14 degrees. After all this stuff was put on my car does not act right. When I start it it dies. After I hold it at 2,000 for a minute or so, it will stay running and idle around 1000. Also i live in town and work outside of town. While driving through town it loads of and backfires a little bit, kinda like its not running on all cylinders. Once i get out of town it seems to smooth out and run like it should. I checked all vaccume lines and they were all good. I was running rich and i took the vacuume line off the fuel pressure regulator to see if it had fuel running through it. It smelled like gas so i pluged the line off to see if it would run leaner. I runs alot leaner but its still starting rough and loading up in town.

HAS anyone ever had this problem after a swap or know what the problem is. If so this this would make my day alot better. It sucks spending 4 grand on something thats not running right. Thanks for the help. Dave

• Sponsors (?)

first off, unlike me, you have to relax a bit. at this point, it sounds like a tuning issue. who installed all of these parts?
Is there a dyno around with a good AF meter? try lowering your FP, trying raising it, try backing the timing off, etc etc.

I installed everything. My dad has been a mechanic for over 28 years so I had him double check my work. I figure if im going to own it I might as well work on it because he wont be here for ever. I tried messing with the timing but no luck. After it warms up it will idle at 1000. After i get out of town, where I can open it up i little it runs awesome. I can park it, go out an hour later and it will start fine, and idle fine. But once i leave it sit over night then i goto start it that when it wont idle. An Af could be the problem but really not sure.

damystikal69 said:
I installed everything. My dad has been a mechanic for over 28 years so I had him double check my work. I figure if im going to own it I might as well work on it because he wont be here for ever. I tried messing with the timing but no luck. After it warms up it will idle at 1000. After i get out of town, where I can open it up i little it runs awesome. I can park it, go out an hour later and it will start fine, and idle fine. But once i leave it sit over night then i goto start it that when it wont idle. An Af could be the problem but really not sure.
how much u want to sell it for.want to trade

i know i go through the same thing thats u are goin throguh whenever my car starts to mess up.but i dont have a pklace or anyway of working on it so it sucks worse for me.good luck

damystikal69 said:
I was running rich and i took the vacuume line off the fuel pressure regulator to see if it had fuel running through it. It smelled like gas so i pluged the line off to see if it would run leaner. I runs alot leaner but its still starting rough and loading up in town.
Dave

Gas in fuel pressure regualtor vacuum line = regulator failure. Replace the fuel pressure regulator. The regulator is leaking internally, allowing excess fuel to be sucked into the intake manifold.

Looked all over for vaccum leak. The only one i have is from the junky trick flow oil fill tube. the gromet wont stay in and it keeps poppping out. That is the poorest design ever.Mass air is all good. I bought an A9L comuputer and wiring off the trader on here. Nothing was cut, wiring was perfect. Lat time I drove the car after it warmed up it ran perfect. I just went to the store before the wife went to work and its running worse. The only thing I did last night was put in a diffrent fuel pressure regulator and i noticed that the ground wire off the fire wall was not hooked to the block so i hooked it up. Now theres hardley and power and its backfiring.

damystikal69 said:
Nope. Will this cause the backfiring. It was working fine before i switched to a accufab 75mm
Well if you switched throttle bodies then you need to set the voltage. I have always set mine at .980 volts with a digital volt meter.
It could cause some problems if not set correctly.

I would also check the Salt and Pepper shaker plugs to see if they make any difference. If a connection is loose there it can cause some problems as well.

What I did with mine was bought some Electrical Contact Cleaner and cleaned the connections and tightened up each one. Then I used dielectric grease to keep the contacts from corroding.

Nope I've seen people talking about dumping codes on here but not sure how to do it. I know that my check engine light doesnt come on. It did at first and that was because it had the map sensor ran the speed desity way, with the vacuume hooked up. But fixed that and no engine light.