Rear Axle gear help needed

chgovfk

15 Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
AZ
I own an 07 gt stick - I have it up on jack stands to do the exhaust - and I was thinking - why not buy a rear end gear kit from Ford racing since it's up there...I've looked through a lot of the threads....I'm leaning towards the 4.10's instead of the 3:73's ....I've got a guy who does gear work daily for the install...I know to buy the "A" type made by ford...but what does this really do compared to running the stock gears...I'm putting in shorties b/c I live in az (emissions) and an off road H pipe....I've got mutha- thumpers on my work bench going in....then a cold air ...and then off to get a professional dyno tune....this not a Daliy driver...are the 4.10's better than the 3.73's?....quicker off the line ..racing stop light to light but able to run ok on the highway...is what I'm looking for ...no drag strip ..no fuel economy...I know it's a tired question...just would like to know what everyone thinks...thx

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks!....what does running the 4.10's "do" for you in respect to running the car...what's the difference between those and the stock gears...does it just make the car quicker in acceleration?

Never mind the first reply ...i went on american muscle and read through the reviews....I get it now....and to "boot" the 4.10s are on sale....like $40 bucks off....but thanks

Basically you answered your question.

Want a quick car and don't care about MPGs or top end? 4.10s

You'll really want those if you're working up your cams. With more revs you won't lose top speed :)

I love my 4.10s and Ive tried a bunch of set-ups too; 3.08, 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10.

I have a 90 w/ 5 speed and it will cruise 75 mph perfectly, only like 2k-2.5k rpms. I live in AZ too, so as you know, 75 is about as fast as you wanna cruise with all the speed cameras.

Also if you know the guy installing, have him pack the posi as tight as possible, most shops wont do this cause its kinda a pain in the ass (have him put in all the shims, then install, pin probably wont slide through, pull it out, stick in a smaller shim(s), try again until its as tight as possible) rear-end will be super tight, pretty much will be just as good as a locker, but for free!

pay attention too, that way next time you can just do it yourself. Ive done like 8-10 R&P installs.

*this is assuming your rear is a similar to fox 8.8s, which it probably is*

Thanks all.....I'm ordering the 4.10's Frpp "A" from american muscle...does that really work ....about "locking up" the shims for a locker rear end in an 07?....the extra work wouldn't be a problem...

The installer is a neighbor ...used to wrench for a winston west cup team....although he only likes chevies...but loves spinning wrenches...and drinking the budweiser I buy him....we are tackling this as soon as my H - pipe comes in the mail....so any comments would be helpful.....

Then the real scary part begins....after exhaust - and the rear end ....I plan to run it a while....then the cams/cold air intake......I've downloaded everything possible about popping those mutha thumpers in....along with the Livernois lock-outs....I'm spraying the cam gears (taped off in half) bright yellow..and then with paint pens...I'm marking every sprocket tooth and where it lands on the chain.....I still shi*t myself thinking about it.....the car only has 12K on it....ugh....if I F it up...my wife will never let me hear the end of it......I'll really take my time and it will work.....I've completed the install..."in-my-head" a hundred times......so hopefully God will take some mercy on my silly ass....

The other project ....a 1971 351w (out of an LTD) going in a 4 cyl 90 coupe...for being a pure body and paint guy...I seem to be intrenched in motor work.....