Rear axle play. How much is ok?

roached1

May 12, 2003
Scotia NY
Last month durring tech, they shook the rear of my car and thought maybe a wheel was alittle loose because of a noise we heard, but was aloud to run after checking all corners. Today while chasing a brake noise, I pulled on my right rear wheel and i can hear the axle moving. Not enough to see it move, but enough to hear and feel it. The left is not as bad in comparison. how much should I worry about it? and how hard of a job is it? Does the diff. and gears have to come out to change the C-clips, or can it be done easly with just the rear cover removed? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Was this with rear brakes on your car? Not sure on the spec for endplay.... but-

The C-clip is removable without taking out the carrier or gears but you do need to remove the crosspin (1 bolt). Then (with brakes off the car) you push in on the axle and remove the c-clip. A magnet works well. Then slide out the axle. You may have interference with the rear ABS sensors when pushing the axles in. Probably need to remove those, too. Wouldn't be a bad time to replace those (probably toast) Trac-lok clutch packs. That doesn't need the carrier or gears out either, so no re-shimming necessary.

Rick