Interior and Upholstery Rear convertible window won't go down

GrandmasterK

Founding Member
Aug 17, 2001
Madison, WI
Starting last week, when I press the down button for the rear window on my 89 GT convertible, I just get a slight clicking sound and that's it. I believe that indicates I'm getting power to the window motor but either the motor is shot or something is out of alignment so that the window can't go up or down. It worked one day, then didn't a couple days later, nothing out of the ordinary happened with it.

I don't know how to go about determining if I need a new motor or if there is something else I can fix like window alignment. Any tips for what to do / check next?

Thanks,

Kris

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Simple check, pull the rear panel and gain access to the motor, find the pig tail, add power and see if it moves, if so, it’s the switch, if not, probably the motor.

>> How about checking the fluid level? If it's low the top won't rise.

Rear window, not convertible top.

>> Simple check, pull the rear panel and gain access to the motor, find the pig tail, add power and see if it moves, if so, it’s the switch, if not, probably the motor.

The fact that both switches stopped working at the same time would lead me to believe that it isn't the switch. If it's not the switch, then I need to replace the motor?

As stated earlier tear into and check it out, you are right doesn't sound like the switch(need a schematic though to be absolutely sure, but don't think both switches have common power).