Rear Differential symptoms and solutions.

trombonedemon

Jun 25, 2009
U.S.A, U.S.A., U.S.A.!
Well, about a year ago, I was T-boned while crossing a road into a parking lot. The insurance rep for the body shop, stated that I needed a new rear diff. So she found one that has been sitting in a junk-yard for a long time.
Problems w/rear.
1. Both axle bearings gave, leak oil all over my rotors and brake pads.
Symptoms- Loud howling noise when I drove.
2. Pinion bearing gave, leak oil on my drive-shaft.
Symptoms-oil on drive shaft, lack of oil in the rear diff pumpkin, possibly whining noise due to lack of oil.
3. Rear backlash out of speck, (this is what the 2nd dealership I took the car to stated)
Symptoms-violent shaking when trying to ease the clutch into gear.
4. Squeaking from the rotors and brake pads in the rear.
Anti-squeal or anti-rattle clips installed, no more squeal.
After, the first axle bearing went I wanted the body-shop insurance rep to change all of the bearings b/c if one was gonna go then chances are the other two were gonna give. Needless to say, the dealership made me a prophet:nonono:. This chick was just throwing parts at my car w/o any good results.
After talking to Nationwide again, I decided to go to another dealership, whom of which do not usually deal w/insurance companies. The 2nd Ford dealership totally rebuilt the rear diff.

Total parts=1348.76
Total Labor=788.50
total=2271.79
Now, I mention the total costs b/c, the body shop insurance reps job is to save the insurance company. After bringing my car back to the first dealership 5 times, reporting problems w/the rear diff. and w/the body being repaired, I am positive that the insurance company has vested over 7 grand in my vehicle after dealership costs and labor. I love irony, but not when its wasting my time, oh this is my only vehicle so I didn't include the rental car fees.
Thanks for reading.

• Sponsors (?)

This experience underscores why everytime someone opening a thread starting with, "I found a cheap axle in the junk yard...", I cringe.

A complete rear-end rebuilding kit is less than $150. Once competently installed, a rebuilt rear-end is as good as new.

The true cost of the rebuild is in the labor. IMO, it is just plain silly to install a junk yard rear end without rebuilding. It is SOoooo much easier to rebuild on the bench than in the car.

You could imagine my mood when I read up what happens when the bearings on a semi-floating axle completely gives, I don't think that C-clip would hold if the bearing completely gave but, I'm not understanding the 1st dealership not replacing bearings in an old junkyard rear diff.
The word competent does not pertain to this lady, unless she was playing ignorant on purpose.

Time to get a new insurance company? :shrug:

My insurance company has recommended shops and the shops I've dealt with seem very reputable, and wouldn't try to pull that kind of crap.

If someone else's insurance is paying, you should be able to choose the shop and specify new/rebuilt components and not have to worry about the cost.

Time to get a new insurance company? :shrug:

My insurance company has recommended shops and the shops I've dealt with seem very reputable, and wouldn't try to pull that kind of crap.

If someone else's insurance is paying, you should be able to choose the shop and specify new/rebuilt components and not have to worry about the cost.

The insurance company was footing the bill, but the situation just called for a simple rear diff rebuild. I mean as much Ford charged the first time around the insurance company could have just given me a complete rebuild the first go around, like I asked them and save a few grand, maybe more. Every time a bearing failed I had to stop my life let them have my car for 2 or 3 days.
I really don't know what would justify them spending over 7 grand for a simple rebuild and body modification.:shrug:

I bought one from Ford Racing with everything inside the rear end. All I had to do was slide in my axles from my old one and put brakes and miscellaneous brackets from the old one. It was $700 plus I think $150 shipping. Ford quoted me over $1,200 just to rebuild the differential... I think I got off easy with the BRAND NEW rear end. It even came "factory" with 4.10's.

I bought one from Ford Racing with everything inside the rear end. All I had to do was slide in my axles from my old one and put brakes and miscellaneous brackets from the old one. It was $700 plus I think $150 shipping. Ford quoted me over $1,200 just to rebuild the differential... I think I got off easy with the BRAND NEW rear end. It even came "factory" with 4.10's.
Dang,:nonono:.