Rear E-Brake Cable Replacement

jmcta1976

Feb 15, 2019
Colorado
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. Need some advice on replacing the rear e-brake cables on my 2006 Mustang convertible V-6. I thought I could thread the new lines into position after removing the old ones, but they don't seem to fit under the rear support braces. Saw one You-Tube video of a guy trying to do the same thing but he bolted the parking brake cable brackets for the new lines upside down on the frame (!) so he avoided the problem I'm having with threading the lines under the support braces. Do I need to remove the support braces to replace the e-brake cable? Or is there some special technique I'm not aware of? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. Need some advice on replacing the rear e-brake cables on my 2006 Mustang convertible V-6. I thought I could thread the new lines into position after removing the old ones, but they don't seem to fit under the rear support braces. Saw one You-Tube video of a guy trying to do the same thing but he bolted the parking brake cable brackets for the new lines upside down on the frame (!) so he avoided the problem I'm having with threading the lines under the support braces. Do I need to remove the support braces to replace the e-brake cable? Or is there some special technique I'm not aware of? Thanks!

No worries. I figured it out. For anyone else who encounters this problem, just loosen the bolts on the rear support braces and tug downwards on the brace. This should give you clearance for the new e-brake cable and for the cable bracket to fit between the support brace and the car frame. After placing the cable in position and tightening the bolt holding the cable bracket, re-tighten all the rear support brace bolts. Start with the two most forward bolts (Tq to 46ft-lbs), then the two rearmost bolts (46 ft-lbs), the mid-range bolt (46 ft-lbs), and finally the upper rear support brace bolts (26 ft-lbs). Hopefully, that helps someone else!

Reactions: 1 user