Rear Emblem Mounting

GT in Detroit

Jul 27, 2005
I recently removed, filled and, painted the rear emblem on the truck lid of my car and im looking for the adhesive back that mounts the emblem back on. I could line up double sided tape, but if anyone knows how, or where to get the original adhesive please let me know, Im assuming if I buy another emblem the adhesive back will already be mounted to the emblem so that wont help, but if some has gotten a new emblem and it comes separate, let me know...

tks
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

pre formed tape does not exist for consumers. you will need to buy some 2x tape and retape it. use the widest tape you can get to reduce problems. use it across the entire medallion and trim at the edges with a razor blade. clean it really well with wax and grease remover. also use some 3m adhesion promoter to ensure it sticks well.

Submit some pic's if you can when your finished. I was thinking of doing something similar myself. I'm surprised knowone has produced a replacement rear emblem for those of us that would rather not have the key hole exposed as it tends to trap water after a car wash and make a mess of the rear bumper after you have spent time wiping it down.

I pulled mine off, taped off the GT center, scuffed it with ed scotch pad, primered and went flat black.

img7377uh5.jpg

A lighter one:

img8614uz1.jpg

Hey Emay, the thing just pops off? What did you use to pry it off? I just tinted my taillights, brakelight and reflectors..And I want to paint my badge flat black too to match my flat black stripes..What type of sanding did you do again?? thanks man..

Sorry, red scuff pad, looks like scotch bright green pads, but they are red.

I slipped some 20 lb fishing line behind it and loosened one side just enough to be able to get the tip of my finger behind it, just worked around it with light pressure around the outside edge, by the time I made it half way it came off entirely on it's own.. The adhesive was still in tact so when I was done I simply stuck it back on and it's held now for almost a year.

I slipped some 20 lb fishing line behind it and loosened one side just enough to be able to get the tip of my finger behind it, just worked around it with light pressure around the outside edge, by the time I made it half way it came off entirely on it's own.. The adhesive was still in tact so when I was done I simply stuck it back on and it's held now for almost a year.

GT (Jim):

My experience was the same as Emay's (except I used 40 lb. test--it was stuck on there pretty good, and it's only been three weeks.)

Now, I put on the SilverHorseRacing rear medallion ...
rearpo3.th.jpg
... and it came with a piece of double-sided material to use in case the factory adhesive wasn't reusable. That stuff must be available somewhere if you need it.

... jim2