Rear end is built, new wheels are on.

Well I decided it was time to get rid of the 28 splines and build the rear so it can handle my next build in a few years. Figured it would be a good time to swap over to 5 lug also. Put in 33 spline moser axles, moser spool, c clip eliminators, 3.55 gears and a LPW girdle. First rear end Ive built, had a lot of help from a friend of mine and used his lift and man did that help. None of it was really hard at all just very time consuming to make sure everything way done right. Everyone was telling us not even to try doing it unless you had someone that does rear ends for a living helping, clearly we didn't listen and it turned out great. For the front I just used the mark 7 rotors and put in long 3" studs. The wheels are bogart D-10 wheels, wanted them for years and these are actually the only set I have ever even seen in person. Fronts are 15x3 1/2 or 4 rears are 15x10 6.5" bs. Rears fit fine with the help of a large hammer. The biggest thing that I have to say is anyone who says you cant run a spool on the street or tells people you'll hate it cant turn, park, drive slow etc you can all go pound sand. Did a lot of looking around on sites, asking different local people and everyone said just get a detroit locker or something you'll hate a spool! Well let me tell you guys, it drives almost completely the same as it did with the stock diff. Only time its even close to noticable is backing up and turning at the same time, then it just feels a little tight but can still very easily be driven. Only problem is my camera died so this is the only picture I have so far(pretty crappy), more to come this weekend and maybe even a new video finally.

DSC01345.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, everybody said I shouldn't have tried doing gears myself without "professional" help, but I did it on jack stands in an unheated 1.5 car garage in the middle of February, and they have seen more than 10000 aggressive miles since without any problems whatsoever. Do the research, use the right tools and take your time, and any competent DIY'er can do a successful swap.

By the way, the car looks great. Got big plans for the engine? Did you do anything to beef up the housing itself? I can only imagine that you've got something up your sleeve if you're going to 33 splines and a spool! :nice:

Thanks guys, I was planning on welding the tubes up also but we didnt finish until about 11:30 at night so I just said F that. I'll just weld them up tomorrow. Yea its gotta get lowered a little gotta roll the lip first. Prob just wait until the winter and cut the stock springs a small amount and put some 4 cylinder springs in the front until its coil overs. Could use some new struts too. It will deff be at the track soon tried to launch it on the two step the other night and it just blew the tires off with VHT so I gotta adjust some stuff. Any news on a drag day coming up? Yea, it will be at the pike tmw night trying to get a bunch of people to go supposed to be really nice out.

BTW you'll notice in the pictures I post up later that the front tires stick out more then normal. Thats because the BS is setup for cobra brakes. Doesnt look terrible just have to decide what to do about it. Bogart makes the wheel then welds a spacer on to it for say a 03 cobra but it is the same wheel as it would be for a fox just with this spacer welded on. Kinda considering just having it milled down so it has the right BS or just getting 1" shorter A arms and actually running the cobra brakes seeing as its starting to get to a point where stock brakes arent going to be enough.

Norwich, I am about 15 minutes from there. Actually in Norwich just about every day. Usually about every other weekend we go to the berlin turnpike, basicly just a small car show and cruise around. It used to be a lot of fun cops have really kinda ruined it, that and ricers. The pike is right up rt 2 for you by the way, you should check it out send me a PM if interested. Got a few more pictures, horrible camera man basicly why I rarely post pictures haha. Try and get better ones this weekend at the pike, hopefully a lot of people will go. Brain and Adam you think you guys are going? The white coupe still running? :nice:

DSC01366.jpg

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01355.jpg

DSC01367.jpg

DSC01350.jpg