rear end noise

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
Ok, About 8 months ago I went from 3.27 to 4.10 the day of the swap everything was quiet until 70 mph, then it start a rythmic hum. bbbbb bbbbb bbbbb and it got faster with more speed. I thought it might be a ds imbalance so i put the frpp allum ds in it. It quieted down, however it did not go away. Ive put 8000 miles on it and nothing has failed... yet. i took it back to arizona differential 3 times and they couldnt find anything wrong with the install. i have since driven the car to ohio, and it still does it. i now notice it if im on a really smooth road at 40 mph and up. assuming that the pinion depth is correct and backlash is correct, what else could be the culprit? the car did not make the noise until after the gear swap. it has new carrier bearings, and a new pinion bearing. i did not replace the wheel bearings... could that be it? there is no whine, the only other symptom im noticing is a click when i apply gas from a stop sign, or apply gas when shifting gears, although i cant tell if that is something in my trunk or something in the rear end. So, what do you guys think it could be?

and please... none of the 'take it to a shop' answers, just be specific about what you might think could be doing this. thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Some gears just make noise... Plain and simple. If your feeling vibrations then its possible that your outer wheel bearings are going.... Swap those and you have a totally new rear. Might think about checking the axles as well since they will be out. Not likley that you bent one with stock power, but stranger things have happened.

Gear noise comes from the install.It wont hurt anything but once its there you cant do much about it.I have had the same thing for a few years.You well have to rebuild to make it go away.Might be cheaper to get louder mufflers.

yeah thats my last name, why do you ask?
thanks for the input on the wheel bearings i was thinking that might be the case too, i will have to check. im at the point where im truly thinking about gutting the rear end and rebuilding everything, all new bearings, with either 3.73 or 3.55, i wonder how well it will hook with 3.73's and 400rwhp, if i change the upr & lwr control arms.

yeah thats my last name, why do you ask?
thanks for the input on the wheel bearings i was thinking that might be the case too, i will have to check. im at the point where im truly thinking about gutting the rear end and rebuilding everything, all new bearings, with either 3.73 or 3.55, i wonder how well it will hook with 3.73's and 400rwhp, if i change the upr & lwr control arms.

I have the same last name.