rear gear brand

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
Im under the impression that the oem ford gears have the best reputation for not whining,and also the frpp,however, I read that the frpp are now made by motive,whose gears(390s) I had a bad experience with a few years ago,no matter what, I couldnt get all of the whine to go away,I must of had that R&P in and out 10 times or more.after explaining exactly how I was going about with the setup they(motive) credited the supplier so I could get a refund.maybe they were just cut wrong.

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, the Ford gears are better quality because there are fewer set to differences. IE, the gear sets are more consistent (that includes the different ratios).

This translates into better outcomes even when the proper set up procedures are not followed. I am speaking in general (not specifics) but if someone simply installs the gears without perform any measurements; the FRP gears are more likely to be correct.

So it comes down to the installer. If the installer has the tools to take the measurements and the correct shims are used, that installer is going to get better results even if the gears being installed have differences.

The installer that does not have the tools to measure is more likely to "hit" the set up by re-using the existing shims because the base FRP gear sets are more consistent.

I have FRPP 3.73s, and have no whine. However, I know people with Motives that also have no whine. Like 'wmburns' above said, it's all in how the rear is set up. A properly shimmed set of gears should not whine, regardless of manufacturer.

as long as everything is installed correctly and spec'd correctly you should have no whine whatsoever...but i have know of motives whining even when spec'd correctly... also keep in mind, frpp gears are a little bit cheaper than motive :nice: