Rear Seat Delete: Do I need to seal the MDF?

I bought a rear seat delete kit a year or two ago. I didn't get the fully finished kit. Just the plain MDF boards cut to size. I was planning on applying my own carpet before installing it. At this point, I am thinking of just using wallpaper to cover it. Or maybe leave it bare. Not sure yet.

Do I need to seal the MDF boards with some wood sealant first?

i think you should sand it with some fine grit and stain it, sand again then then wallpaper it.... i dont mean like sand for hours or nothin.. just a little to knock all the rough spots down from it sitting so long..

Found some info...

Edit: It sounds like regular packaging tape would be a better sealer than paint or varnish.

http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/MDF/

they make a specific type of sealant. i am pretty sure i mentioned it somewhere in my write up. if MDF gets moisture in it it will release famaldehyde(sp?) you dont want to breathe that. plus u wont be able to get the smell out of the car

I just sealed the edges when I did mine and then wrapped it in sub box carpet. I love the look of mine, plus I droped around 40 lbs when I did mine.

I've had my entire upper/lower rear leather seat out before and together they weighed 34 lbs on a aircraft scale. Are you saying that you lost a total of 40lbs even with the heavy MDF installed? What thickness MDF are you guys using?