Interior and Upholstery Rear seat upholstery question

• Sponsors (?)

No. The seat bottom is held on by hog rings. You can use a set of wire snips to cut the rings and peel off the leather cover. The foam is basically molded over a steel frame, and that's what you clip the seat material to.

The SN95 seat backs unclip from the bottom and you can pull the foam frame out. Then you can slide that back into a new cover. SN95 seat backs are easy as pie, unlike Fox seat backs which were devised by the devil himself.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
You can see how the material clips to the bottom foam. Some Velcro is used as well

AFDDB86C-D6C5-4999-86D2-4BF551760420.jpeg
4757475C-1D90-46D1-A801-06AD515B488B.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I have done two convertible back seats, neither of which were glued. They were only held on by hog ring, and they were leather.
Ok, thank you! It’s weird, I swear I saw a video showing they were glued to the foam, making it really hard to remove the cover. Like I said, I have a 95 convertible, and hope to replace the covers this summer. By the way, I know TMI has gotten some pretty poor reviews, especially with how long it takes to get the covers. I stopped at a Katzkin dealer, and they said that they get covers for any car is about a week. I will probably go that route. Thanks again!

I'm waiting to order custom Katzkin covers for the seats in my 19 mustang. Kinda pricey but the options are almost endless. Never thought about using them for my 88.

Edit; went to the Katzkin site and found the vehicle years stops at 94. Maybe they can do them older. I'd like to find out.

I'm waiting to order custom Katzkin covers for the seats in my 19 mustang. Kinda pricey but the options are almost endless. Never thought about using them for my 88.

Edit; went to the Katzkin site and found the vehicle years stops at 94. Maybe they can do them older. I'd like to find out.
When you stop at s shop that installs Katzskin products, there are many more choices available than you see on their website. I stopped at a shop in Akron Ohio that does a bunch (several a week according to the shop) and they had nothing but praise for the product. The color selection is endless ( I want a custom very light off white color) and they said it would be no biggie to have them made. The only problem with Katzskin is that they only sell to authorized dealers, so the cost is higher than TMI. But, I've read several horror stories about those guys, so I think I'll steer clear even if it costs a few more bucks.

TMI is ok if you can actually get the product. I've heard their cloth isn't the best, but their vinyl and leather seems to hold up ok. There are some faults of it if you are to directly compare their foam/covers to OEM, but that's to be expected with aftermarket coverings. The main grip is actually getting it. Their lead times are long, communication is tough, and their #1 reseller (if you actually want a diverse selection of trim) is CJponyparts as they offer the most color combos and cheaper than buying from TMI themselves, and that's an adventure in itself. They used to have a rep that frequented this forum, but once they landed the big name resellers (NPD, CJ, LMR) they haven't been back.

I happened to luck upon a set of cloth seat covers from Acme. Quality looks good, but I haven't installed yet as I don't have the right seats for the covers (92-93 sport seats). I'm definitely wanting to try them out just to see how they compare in quality and how the seats look compared to OEM.

Lseat. Stay away. I had a bad experiences. Communication is tough, they request payment a shady way, and despite sending photos of the colors I wanted, they messed the order up completely and sent the wrong colors and blamed it on me.

Have never used KatZskin. I've done my own upholstery install (except sewing...I don't do that), so I guess it would be tough for me to get the covers on my own without going through a shop.

Some will remember my last TMI/CJpony experience. These were ordered as “Dark Red” inserts. The photos clearly showed them as being red like a nice dark apple. 8 weeks after the order, they sent me covers for a 66-67 Mustang. After a week trying to get a prepaid return label, I sent them back. Another 10 weeks later, this is what I got, and they didn’t understand why I wanted to return them. Dark Red. Right. I had to pay $100+ to ship them back.

(covers are just laying on my seats for photo reasons)
17495628-0777-4286-BE29-A39869FD664C.jpeg

Last edited: