rear spoiler template?

• Sponsors (?)

I wish I had some higher level of knowledge about this. But if memory serves I just used a bunch of masking tape on the body, did the best I could as far as measuring the locations, drew an outline on the masking tape, marked those locations and drilled. If I was off, I enlarged the hole a little and used a washer. I've read in different places about using clay or Play-Doh, but have never tried that. Another possibility might be to use marking/spotting ink. Again, tape the body, remove the studs, ink the stud locations, then press it onto the tape in location. Dunno if that'd work, but it might? I think the stud bosses probably wouldn't make contact..... :shrug:

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I did the masking tape and sharpie with tape measure improvements on locations then drilled top the small size and drilled the back bigger for washers.

The old urethane moves around so much in the heating and cooling cycles it keeps pulling the outside edge studs out.
I swear sometimes when its cool it lines up perfect and when it hot its off a half inch both sides as it warms up and takes on a smile or banana shape.
I thinking i might replace it with fiberglass someday.

I didn't want to try to remove the studs in case I broke the spoiler. Do they come out easy?

When I went through this, mine did. There were a couple that didn't want to tighten or stay when I went to reassemble it though. My fix was Gorilla Glue or epoxy, can't remember which now. Seems like maybe I tried both? :shrug:

I ve been having a hard time getting the studs to stay in.

@74stang2togo Might this be a better ct? Lol

ok, so figured it out as I had a original cobra hatch lid in my other garage so I just measured those holes and transferred those measurements to the hatch lid I am using (cobra one was rustier) Those measurements worked out primo.
The end caps are a little more tricky, but I managed to remove the studs, and using some modelling clay I located the holes to the quarter panels. Seems to be all good. For people that don't have a cobra lid to go off of, you could use the modelling clay method on that to I imagine.

I stopped to look at my car today and could have got a measurement for you. I won't get there for a couple weeks now. If you still need them then I'll measure it up for you.