Rear spring mounting ????

iamlance

Sep 18, 2004
I installed new rear springs on my 65 and found that there were no insulators at the spring to axle tube mountings or between the shock mount and spring.
Should there be??? I would think there should be more than just the thru spring bolt protruding into the shock plate to keep the rear from sliding fore and aft.
If it should have insulators, who sells them?? I haven't seen them in any of my catalogs. Thanks :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

What bothers me is I intalled the springs, tightened the u bolts evenly, lowered the car and the rear appeared a bit crooked. Raised the car again, loosened the u bolts moved the rear a bit, tightened the ubolts and all looks fine. It just seems to me that there should be more to centering the rear than the thru bolt into shock plate.

Hmmmm...

What looked crooked? The stance from the rear? Like one side of the bumper was higher than the other? :scratch:

When I did my leafs and shocks I did them one side at a time. Didn't seem to have any crookedness.

Did you use new springs and new shocks?

gotcha, yeah that's not good, eh?

I never measured, but I think mine just kinda lined up on its own. I had heard that cars have an adjustment for the rear wheels alignment, but I gotta think these dont.

I think there should be a short stud on top of the spring/shock pad that fits into a hole in the spring. the pad is located by the u-bolts, but the springs have to be set on the stud, otherwise the axle might not be perpendicular to the car's centerline. When I changed my springs on my 68, it was there.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The top of the spring does have a nub on it, but the center of the spring perch is recessed, so the nub does nothing. I guess if all is as it should be, nothing to be concerned about.